Gloucestershire appeal - Head Teacher's letter of support?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ariel

Gloucestershire appeal - Head Teacher's letter of support?

Post by ariel »

We are appealing on the basis of our DD's non-qualification, and have been told by our primary school that they will NOT supply a letter of support.

They have indicated that DD is definitely of GS standard, but state it is the school's policy not to provide such a letter.

Many other parents that I have spoken to/read about, were provided with a supporting letter by their Gloucestershire primary school for previous appeals. I am now extremely worried that we will be at a disadvantage in the circumstances, and that the Appeal Panel may 'read into' the fact we do not have written support from DD's school.

Any advice please?
Etienne

Re: Gloucestershire appeal - Head Teacher's letter of suppor

Post by Etienne »

If the school is maintained by Glos. LA, it might be worth checking with the Local Authority whether they have a view about this. (It's the sort of situation that is more common when the appeal is for a school in a LA where selection is widespread, but the primary school is in a neighbouring LA opposed to selection.)

You do have a legal right, not to a letter of support, but to a copy of anything in your daughter's school record (e.g. the results of any tests).

You will need to explain to the panel hearing your appeal. It's quite possible they will have come across this situation before, and will understand.

The onus will still be on you to come up with as much evidence as possible of grammar school ability (i.e. well-above average ability):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and with reasons for wanting a place at the school in question:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I am sure that Capers will be along soon and that they will put your mind at rest, although I have not had to appeal I am under the impression that most schools in Glos do not support the 11 plus and so your situation isn't unusual.
Capers will know more though, perhaps look through some of the posts in the Glos section.
Good luck with your appeal.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Woosh! In comes I, Capers.

I don't know which school you're appealing for, Ariel, and please don't tell me as I do sit on some panels in Glos, and so can only give generic advice.

Don't worry. I would say that around 1/3rd of the primary schools here do not support any appeals for grammar. It will not affect the outcome.

Some will not write letters of support but do give information requested to the clerk on a proforma - (what the predicted SATS are, maybe the CAT scores and some write a couple of factual lines about the child) - others decline even to do that. You, however, can request a copy of all data stored about your child for whatever reason you wish to use it for, and it's then up to you as to if you use it as part of your appeal.

We are fully aware that different schools give different amounts of support and types of information to support appeals and your child will not fare less well if your school doesn't send anything in. For instance, some private schools do not supply SAT scores, others don't have CAT scores. We use what we're given, and read everything thoroughly, including copies of school reports and the like.

As to the appeal itself, you'll find the panels go out of their way to make the appeal hearing as unstressful an event as possible for all involved. Good luck (and that also applies to all other parents appealing in Gloucestershire - can't show any favouritism :shock:).
Capers
ariel

Post by ariel »

Thank you for your input everyone - feel slightly better now.
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

Ariel
First of all, good luck with your appeal. Know how you are feeling as we are in same situation.
We were also disappointed to hear that our primary "toed the party line" in not providing a supporting letter, so were only expecting the basic info re SATS predictions etc. It was a real surprise to get a mail from our DS form teacher with some additional comments. It may be worth you speaking to your DD's teachers on an individual basis to see if they would do likewise for your DD.
Feel free to pm me if you want to share the pain! Xx