How much work?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Araucana

How much work?

Post by Araucana »

Starting to feel like the mean horrible mother!

Need reassurance that this is all worth it and normal :(

DD is in year 4, one more term to go :D She has a tutor for 11+ as I didn't want to DIY as she tends to get a bit stroppy with me, although I did help her with KS1. Started early as she is good at maths and the school were not stretching her at all - she had reached her targets for the summer term 2012 at the beginning of the spring term 2012 and all school were going to do was consolidate knowledge! She is as far as I know working to a 4b in maths and reading and a 3a in writing.

Problem is at the moment the tutor seems to be giving her lots of work, which would probably take her less time if she did not dawdle and fidget. She is fine with the maths and the verbal reasoning but for the comprehensions he gives her she winges and winges and it is really hard to get her to focus and even try- as you can guess not her favourite. She does eventually do it but it seems to take hours for her to get one done and I feel like I am pointing things out to her in the text because she can't be bothered! I feel like the mean mum for making her do it and it feels like we are doing so much at the moment - we have done a bit in the mornings most days of the easter break (done lots of day trips and exciting bits as well - I'm not that bad) just to get through the stuff the tutor is setting.

Just wanted to know how much others are doing in year 4 if with a tutor. I know she is probably not the brightest button in the jar so she probably has to work a bit harder on the english - although she does love to read. I just feel bad if I am making her life **** - she just says at the moment she is doing it to please me and wants to make me proud, poor love. I keep trying to get her to think of the schools and do it for herself as well - am I expecting too much of a 9 year old. We have only seen CCHS, WHSG and SHSG from the outside yet, hoping visits in the term to come will encourage her a bit more. She did love the look of them all when she saw them.
MacPac

Re: How much work?

Post by MacPac »

Hello,

I have a son in year 4 and we have spent about 30 minutes to an hour everyday for the past two weeks, so you are not as horrible as me! I intend to start formal tutoring from September. Until then my plan is to get my son to work through the Bond series and Schofield and Sims Mental Arithmetical 6 days a week. I am also setting weekly spelling and times table tests.

I have tried to make the work as relaxed as possible not really mentioning the 11+. I'm placing more emphasis on telling him it is to bring out his full potential. He has mentioned that he want to go to WHSB so when he's feeling a little demotivated I remind him that WHSB only take bright pupils. Small treats for completing a set amount of work a week is also helping. Have you read the Bond book for parents? It has a great motivational table in it.

One thing I haven't mentioned is I also have a son in yr3 and I'm doing the same with him - the poor boy! I just figured that they're so close in age that I might as well do them both at the same time.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

The good news is you have plenty of time so no need to worry to much. English is often a struggle and it's not the sort of thing that improves over night. If your DD enjoys reading that is a major plus. Yes you will feel mean it's only natural but remember you are only doing what's best for DD in the long run.

As far as volume of work from the tutor it always worries me a little. I am not saying it is the case here but for me is the work focussed on DD weaker areas? It's not about volume it's about setting targeted work. No good DD doing stuff over and over again if she can already do it. Just something to watch out for.

Sooner you can visit the schools the better as it is a great motivator.

Try to keep cool, patient and stick with it. Remember you are not alone on the emotional roller coaster :)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

MacPac, can I ask are you going through the Bond Assessment Papers and, if so, up to what age level, if he's in year 4? And what number Schofield and Sims Mental Arithmetic are you on? I have a year 3 DS and I've read on here that people use the S&S Mental Arith. but I see there are more of them than there are years at KS2, so I wasn't sure what book to start on!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Araucana

Post by Araucana »

Thanks that makes me feel a bit better. As far as the tutor is concerned, I have been really pleased with him. Her maths, good as it is, is really improving (her tables and multiplication are much better, could never get her to sit down and learn with me that much). The english I know she needs to practice on as it is probably her poorest subject, she does however love to read, although the book choice is still a bit dire. As for verbal reasoning, well happy for him to hammer that as much as possible, as she has never really come across it before - actually it is her favourite homework from him and I can get her to do that in the car (mean mean mum!). Just was starting to feel really guilty - I think it feels like we are doing more than we are, we don't always do some every night as she has brownies and art class on two days (mind you I have been trying to sneak in half an hour before recently :wink: ).

I wish these open days would hurry up, really want her to want this, but she is still so far off yr 6 it isn't really registering yet!
Araucana

Post by Araucana »

MacPac, I forgot to add that I have a ds in year 2 and whilst I wouldn't think of giving him 11+ work yet, this has been a lovely excuse to work on his handwriting whilst dd does her work :D
MacPac

Post by MacPac »

Fatbananas- My son completed the 7-8 Bond books over this holiday, I started low to build confidence and there's plenty of time until he sits the exam. They were perhaps too easy but I think it's better to start low otherwise you could scare them and put them off. He was also doing the 9-10 1 minute tests. We started 8-9 books yesterday and I think he'll have finished those by the end of the half term in June. The Schofield and Sims book is 'Mental Arithmetic 2'. He didn't do book 1. I think books 5 and 6 are heading towards Key Stage 3.

Araucana - Have you tried the 'No Nonsense' series of Bond books for your son in year 2? I also have a son in year 1 and he is currently on the age 7-8 No Nonsense books because he likes to work with his brothers. The No Nonsense books are in line with the National Curriculum so will boost school performance without being too pushy or hard.
Araucana

Post by Araucana »

Thanks MacPac I will have a look for those. He is at the same stage that his sister was at this point for maths, maybe a bit more able not sure yet. But writing and reading he is behind - the writing is main issue at moment as he always had trouble forming his letters and holding the pencil. Doesn't sit still which doesn't help - still trying to work out if he is clever and hyper or .......

Feeling a lot more positive today :D
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks MacPac, that was really helpful. I think you're right; it's wiser to build up slowly, giving them an 'easier' level to build up their confidence.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
moved

Post by moved »

I have used Book 4 Schofield and Sims for the Southend 11+, book 5 for the Essex schools. Not because the exam is different, just the scores need to be that much higher. One pupil went on to work through book 6, but not with me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now