how the choices of schools in common application form works

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rashminder12

how the choices of schools in common application form works

Post by rashminder12 »

Hi ,
My son is going to appear in Grammar school's entrance test for 2 different counties and I am living in hampshire county. Can anyone advise me how my child will be given preference in allotting the place in a school of list of choices filled in CA for Hampshire county.

If my son pass the test, then i can put first choice of any selective grammar school of Slough council and wiltshire council and last choice of school from Hampshire county then how it will work.

When Grammar schools will confirm the place of my son? In March or before that?

will my own county will definitely give my son place to my child if i don't get place in first 2 choice?
If my own county school filled all places up to the time i get informed by other schools that they can't give place to my son due to oversubscribe school , so in that case what could be situation for me as the school, in my own county
is also highly oversubscribed?

will appreciate if anyone could advise me so that i will not loose right school for my son.
thanks in advance.
Booklady

Re: how the choices of schools in common application form wo

Post by Booklady »

Where on earth do you live to be considering these as your choices? :?:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Hi - I think I replied to a similar post from you in another thread?

Leaving aside the issue of sending your DC all over the place to sit 11+ exams...

It really will all be a lot clearer once your LA issues this year's admissions guidelines.

Whichever state secondary schools you decide to apply to for your DC, you must do this via your own LA's CAF (the application to take the 11+ exam is made separately). The "equal preference" system means that each school is told that your DC wants a place there, but not where the school is ranked on your list (all the schools look at their lists at the same time and assess whether or not they will offer a place, based on their admission criteria). Once your LA has received responses from all the schools, it then passes on the offer of a place at whichever school comes highest on your list that will accept your DC, so you must put the schools in the order you really want them!

If none of your chosen schools can offer a place, your LA will allocate a place at the nearest school to your home address that has spaces. (This happened to our DD this year. We were really sad that she didn't make it to her first choice school, but we are reasonably happy with the school she has been allocated). This reinforces that you must be realistic in the choices that you put on your CAF - with the new system this year you will know in advance of the final submission date what DC's chance is of achieving a selective place at a given school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

ToadMum wrote:- with the new system this year you will know in advance of the final submission date what DC's chance is of achieving a selective place at a given school.
Except in Bucks! Where the results this year, as far as I know, still arrive after the CAF goes in.
rashminder12

Post by rashminder12 »

Thanks for clearing my confusions. now I will be careful to put choices of schools in my county's CAF. Hope my son pass the 11+ test and get place in selective school. I live in Hampshire county.Thornden school in my own county is also one of the best school. So don't want to lose the place in that school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

rashminder I think you must be very careful to aim at grammar schools who do not have distance criteria in their selection / allocation process otherwise it will be a wasted slot - also must check that you live in one of the roads listed as in Thornden's catchment if you put that school on the CAF as otherwise it will be another wasted slot - here is the list:

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDow ... eId=406613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rashminder12

Post by rashminder12 »

thanks a lot for your advise. I will take care of thing. we are definitely in catchment area of Thornden school. Just worried that if i will put that school as third choice then will that school will still have a place for my son or not?
thanks once again for your valuable advise.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you don't qualify then the choice is not counted. Your child will get your highest preference that can offer a place.
rashminder12

Post by rashminder12 »

hermanmunster wrote:rashminder I think you must be very careful to aim at grammar schools who do not have distance criteria in their selection / allocation process otherwise it will be a wasted slot - also must check that you live in one of the roads listed as in Thornden's catchment if you put that school on the CAF as otherwise it will be another wasted slot - here is the list:

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDow ... eId=406613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks herman,
could you advise me that how can i confirm that which selective schools i am applying , they have distance criteria in selection and which are their "designated area" to give child a place if child pass the 11+ test. should i contact schools directly or their council area dealing with secondary schools admission. I am looking to apply for Slough , Reading and Wiltshire grammar school.
Will be very greatful if you could show me right direction. anyways, thanks to send me the list of all roads covered by Thornden school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Re: Wiltshire.. the only GS I can think of there for boys is Bishop Wordsworth in Salisbury.

http://www.bws.wilts.sch.uk/TheSchool/p ... 0Final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above is a bit about the process

the catchment map is:

http://www.bws.wilts.sch.uk/TheSchool/a ... _area.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure how many kids outside the area get offered places - am sure we discussed this recently - will try to find the answers

re the others - bit complicated! You need to have a look at each school website I think
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now