Music Lessons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
capers123

Music Lessons

Post by capers123 »

Felt this needed its own topic so as not to hijack the Pate's one.

I had heard that at least some of the grammars, upon hearing the news, immediately told the music teachers that they'd emply them directly. I know this has happened at SHS and am pretty sure it's happened at HSG. I would be very surprised if the other grammars, and secondaries who value music, have not done the same.

I'm far more worried about the primaries where the school staff have no interest in music as such.

Gloucestershire Music are moving from individual instrumental tuition to whole-class teaching, whereby each child will get a block of 10 lessons in flute or trumpet, taught in a whole class. That way, they can say "Yep, all children in the county have had the chance to learn an instrument. Tick That Box!'. What happens to any child who wants to carry on after the 10 weeks is anyones guess.

The Music Centres will still be carrying on in some form or another (though no-one is sure what form that will take), but they're only for children who have some experience, not almost-complete beginners. How the children are meant to get from the whole-class 10 lesson stage to grade one or two is a mystery.

Some of the Area Youth Orchestras have already been cut (sorry - merged with the music centre senior orchestras). The senior County groups will still continue.
Capers
stroudydad

Re: Music Lessons

Post by stroudydad »

I have seen an example of where whole class teaching can work, a school from London were playing at the mfy national festival at symphony hall, they had been following the whole class method, admittedly they did have more than ten weeks and the full array of instruments. They were very good.. The trouble is, as I'm sure is obvious, one instrument doesn't suit all. My dd sounds beautiful on a euph but horrendous on a cornet even though the fingerings are the same.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Our primary school had some of this whole class instrumental teaching a couple of years ago on strings. It was quite interesting. I think they all enjoyed it, but in terms of continuing to play an instrument, only 2 children continued, and you could have predicted which 2 they would be as well. Their parents would have paid for lessons in any case. It is my hunch that soon music will be squeezed out of schools altogether in favour of Performing Arts, heaven help us all, for this is more popular and 'relevant' and doesn't cost any money. Instrument lessons will become the preserve of the private sector and perhaps some charitable organisations. Unless we stop the rot, I imagine quite a bit of the non-core curriculum could soon go the same way to be honest.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

stroudydad wrote:My dd sounds beautiful on a euph but horrendous on a cornet even though the fingerings are the same.
I can produce a consistant quality of sound on both :roll:

The National Festival of Music for Youth (aka mfy) is well worth a trip to - it's at Birmingham over quite a few days, so even if you can only pop up for the Saturday I'd recommend it. For a start, all the groups attending will have been selected from the 'regional festivals' held early in the year around the country. The best (allowing for a balanced programme) groups are then selected for the Schools Proms at the RAH. I know a bit about it as I used to run regional festivals & crew for the Nat Fest (when it was at the South Bank) & Schools Proms. I even played at them when I was a nipper (and also entered with a kazoo band made up of my fellow sixth-formers as a joke). The lady who effectively ran the schools proms some years ago is a parent at one of our local grammars
Capers
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I agree Capers but prefer the brass band day ( usually a Thursday I think) it's great to see these children and you adults in a great venue(s) and letting them shine.
aargh

Post by aargh »

DD had one of the week long instrument tuition things. Just enough to get her entirely enthused by clarinet and disappointed that we cannot afford private lessons for her to carry on.
DS does violin and previously guitar at after school club run by one of the teachers.

I do not think it is lack of interest in Primary teachers, but lack of availability in terms of funds and time when the Gov gives them other priorities.
I used to do percussion with my class with a stomp-like performance but that has vanished as my teacher needs me to support Maths and Literacy.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think someone needs to ask why this decision has been made. Bucks has applied for some funding to keep everything going ...
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Went to the national youth brass band championships on Sunday where Chalford Youth and Gloucestershire youth were playing. Chalford had Children from grammars, comps and 14 from Foxmoor, they won the junior section(u16's). Gloucestershire youth played in the championship section(u20's) and again had children from grammars and comps. They played really well. It is quite sad to think that in future a good number of children may not be able to access music lessons easily and what effect this may have in the future.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Sorry to peep in from ooc, but has some national decision been made regarding instrument teaching, do you know?