NFER Testing of Maths and English Year 3

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lillie

NFER Testing of Maths and English Year 3

Post by Lillie »

At my DCs recent parents' evening we were told the class had been tested using NFER papers for English, maths, mental maths and verbal reasoning, with standardised scores. Could anyone please clarify what these papers are - are they the CATs tested referred to or another way of working out a child's ability in a subject? We live in Bucks and are well aware of the 11 plus verbal reasoning score required being 121 to "pass". What would be good scores for these sort of tests and can they be related in any way to the 11 plus? My child is only in Year 3. Many thanks for any clarification.
fatbananas

Re: NFER Testing of Maths and English Year 3

Post by fatbananas »

My DS took these at the beginning of year 3, but just the maths and literacy ones. I was told then that 100 was the national average for a year 3 child. I think the max you can get is 140 (and there is some weighting for age).
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

These sound like CATs. They don't equate exactly to the 11plus, but obviously higher scores in VR (above 120ish? - other people will be along who know better than me) is an indication that they are more likely to get 121+ in the VR 11plus.

We were told the national average is 100, Buckinghamshire average is 110 (?), and then score of x put them in the top x percent (cant remember the figures). If you google Nfer or search on CATs on here you will find lots of information.
scary mum
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Cognitive Abilities Tests (CATs) - Reasoning test in Verbal, Non Verbal and Quantitative

Statutory Assessment Tests (SATs) covers -
Reading (testing reading comprehension),
Writing test (1 short, 1 long)
Spelling
Math x 2 (with calculator, without calculator)
Mental Maths
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:.We were told the national average is 100, Buckinghamshire average is 110 (?),
Is that for real? That Buckinghamshire people are more intelligent than the national average? Heck. My mother has always told me people living in Buckinghamshire are all very 'well to do'; now it seems they are all dead clever as well. Something in the water?
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

scary mum wrote: We were told the national average is 100, Buckinghamshire average is 110 .
That's brilliant :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I know, very strange!! :shock:
scary mum
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I was by DS's teacher told that the NFER tests were different to CATS; my DS had some maths questions and a comprehension only. Our school does do CATS as well but at the end of the school year (May or June, I think) whereas the NFER tests he took were in January.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Don’t know why you’re all so surprised, seems self-evident to me.
We’re also much more modest than the rest of the country, apparently :lol: :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:Don’t know why you’re all so surprised, seems self-evident to me.
We’re also much more modest than the rest of the country, apparently :lol: :lol:
Oh here we go...mods, please split this thread so the Bucks gloatfest can take place away from the envious gazes of the rest of us lesser mortals.

All the good looking ones are in Gloucestershire though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now