Home ed

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherry_d

Home ed

Post by sherry_d »

I have been home-edding my daughter since January. The school she started in September didn't work for us. I have been in hibernation and trying to settle into our new routine.

You can fire me your questions or curiosities! :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
scary mum

Re: Home ed

Post by scary mum »

How's it going? Sorry the school didn't work out (what age is she?), but I take my hat off to you for doing this. How long do you plan to carry on?
scary mum
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

I know someone who is very successfully (I think - not quite sure how you measure the success but the children are very happy!) home schooling her 2 children. They are both primary school age though and I wonder how much more difficult it becomes when you are dealing with teenagers and a secondary school curriculum.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Sorry the school didn't work out. P'heps you should contact Waiting FG as you both seem in a similar situation. .You may be able to help and suppport each other
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi sherry

Very interesting, I have been considering home scooling my 11 year old dd as she is hating School at the mo, she is finding too many children are disruptive - the teacher appears unable to control the class- and feels she is not able to learn in this environment . She can't wait to finish year six as she will be starting her gs in sept. my worry is that if I take her out, what will I do if she loves it so much and does not want to re-enter main stream education. I am not capable to take her beyond yr 6. I would be intrigued to know how it is working out for you and dd and what the pros and cons have been for you?

Laretta
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Daughter is 12 (Year 7 Age)
laretta wrote: I would be intrigued to know how it is working out for you and dd and what the pros and cons have been for you?
Scary at first and still do get some moments of self doubt here and there. When they are in school you can always point a finger at teachers but if you are doing it yourself who do you blame? The greatest benefit is that I work with my child's strength and have the freedom to explore other things and activities.

We have a 4 day week though we do three days sometimes and none other times. Generally we follow the curriculum in Maths and to a certain extend English and a little science but beyond that we pretty much have our own curriculum for the other subjects. For subjects I am a bit clueless in or uncomfortable in I get some external help. There are people who home educate in several way, some completely autonomous. We are probably more structured so its working on what works for you and your child.

I really don't know how long we will home ed for. I can certainly take her to IGCSE as long as it goes well and we don't choke each other or she begs to return. It's an open book at the moment, deep down I hope we do it till she has done her IGCSE.
Impossible is Nothing.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Sorry to hear that the school didn't work out Sherry, but so glad that the home ed is going well. I'm sure it's something that a number of people on the forum have contemplated at one time or another. Well done you for actually taking the plunge and feeding back to us! :D
mad?

Post by mad? »

So sorry things did not work out for DD but delighted things seem to be going so well. You are much braver than me. Good luck!!!!
mad?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Brave I am not Mad :lol: . I never felt like it was loss when the school didn't work out. I just took it as an opportunity to try something else. I was thoroughly fed up of thinking about schools and the thought of even applying to a new school horrified me. I knew and had visited a lot of the school round here and none felt a good fit so I took things into my own hands :shock:. Its the sorry messages here feeling sorry for us that I am even thinking about it as some "loss" or was it? It was more a relief to do something else really and I am always up for a challenge. To be honest its not as hard as it seems and there are a lot of support groups out there just as there is with 11+ forum so whatever issues I have, someone else has had them before.
Last edited by sherry_d on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I'm not sorry for you, I'm envious. Home ed was the best year of our lives and I wish we could have carried on. The experiences you share with your daughter are precious and unrepeatable and will change you both forever. As you know, I think you have done absolutely the right thing. Have fun, enjoy it, it's fantastic. :D :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now