Life beyond 12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pathfinder

Life beyond 12+

Post by pathfinder »

My son has just received a very disappointing 12+ result (116).
I could appeal, but think his mark is too low.
So, his hopes for getting to our local GS are now dashed and I need a contingency strategy...fast!
He maintains he will be so much happier at GS (where all his core friends go).
I believe he will do better there too than cruising lazily in the top sets at his upper school.

Can anyone tell me about the 13+ application criteria and testing?
I realise places are fewer at 13+ (even with a positive result) but we live very close to the GS and might just luck out.
Thanks.
anotherdad

Re: Life beyond 12+

Post by anotherdad »

I believe it is the same process as the 12+. Similar registration, minimum academic attainment to be able to sit. Fewer children sit it and there are usually fewer places than for Y8 entry.

You have to ask whether putting your child (and yourself) through it all for a third time is right for you all. Some schools begin GCSEs in year 9 so it might be a difficult time to slot straight into a new school. My approach would be to register anyway. You can pull out at any time but registration buys time to see how he progresses in Y8 and whether there is still an appetite/need to move. That's what we did with the 12+. We weren't 100% sure that a GS was right even though we were only one mark away from qualifying in the 11+ but registered for the 12+ anyway. After one and a half terms in Y7 at an upper school, we now know that a GS is right so the registration was worth it.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pathfinder wrote:My son has just received a very disappointing 12+ result (116).
I could appeal, but think his mark is too low.
Not necessarily - it depends very much on what other academic evidence you have to offer. Most Bucks schools will have done CATs tests in Y7. If you don't have the results of those, ask what they were. If you prefer to PM me with the scores to maintain confidentiality, that is fine.
Can anyone tell me about the 13+ application criteria and testing?
I realise places are fewer at 13+ (even with a positive result) but we live very close to the GS and might just luck out.
Exactly the same as for the 12+ - see here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have to work out why he is unable to translate "cruising lazily in the top sets at his upper school" into results in the 12+ VR test.

Talk to the school about the CATs and come back to us.

Sally-Anne
drummer

Post by drummer »

Playing devil's advocate here. The usual consensus here is that most people believe that achieving a qualifying mark on the 12+ is easier for most than on the 11+ . This is because the 12+ is standardised against a normal population while the 11+ is standardised against the other 11+ test takers ie an academically selective group, many of whom have been ruthlessly tutored for the test. Therefore a 116 at the 12+ might be considered a poorer mark than a 116 at the 11+

I does beg the question as to why, if your son is so motivated AND so able, he did not do much better on the test?

Perhaps your son isn't happy because he hasn't tried to settle, difficult if his head is thinking "I shouldn't be here, this is only temporary"? And, have you spoken to the school regarding "cruising lazily in the top sets"? Is it your perception or do the teachers say this?

He may do better if he simply embraced his school and the new friends it offers?
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

Thank you all for your replies. I have double-checked with the LEA. Entry requirements for 13+ are the same as 12+ (SATS level 5 in Maths and English in Year 6). Registration for 13+ is in Sept (2012) with test in Feb (2013). It is the same test but with 90 questions in 40 minutes and then standardized according to age. I will do as you suggest; register and see how our son feels over the coming months.

I confess that it is mainly my perspective that our son 'cruises'. He appears not to be given any homework or else says he has 'already done it'. However, it is not uncommon to find him quickly 'cut and pasting' something together before breakfast for an assignment due in first period. Not always bad work either but he is significantly underachieving for sure. Yet on meeting with his school teachers, they seemed very happy with his output and his contributions in class so I have concluded that he is quite bright but very lazy. Personally, I do not think the school sets him a high enough bar.

Sally-Anne, his initial Year 7 CATS score (actually MIDYIS) was 118. Reality check. Above average, but nothing to impress an appeal board with. Please correct me if I misinterpret this. No harm in having a pop at the 13+ though, if he still wants to do it come next February. He might even decide that a portfolio of exemplary work could be useful to have by then. (Would be a result in itself). My thanks, once again.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pathfinder wrote:Sally-Anne, his initial Year 7 CATS score (actually MIDYIS) was 118. Reality check. Above average, but nothing to impress an appeal board with. Please correct me if I misinterpret this.
I think you have probably got it about right. He would probably be borderline for a grammar school, so I would focus on improving his attitude to work and see how things are when the time comes to apply for the 13+.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Anotherdad, what is the minimum academic attainment to be able to sit the 13+.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I don't know, sorry. There doesn't seem to be guidance on the BCC site. For 12+ it was evidence of SATs 5s in English and Maths at the end of Year 6.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's the same for 13+.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Silly to use the same for 13+. They should look at end of year 7 results, that would be fair.