Word Problem maths book

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Word Problem maths book

Post by fatbananas »

Morning!

Has anyone had any experience of these books? I'd quite like to get something like this for some concentrated word problem practice! :evil: :mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0435 ... d_i=468294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
yoyo123

Re: Word Problem maths book

Post by yoyo123 »

I haven't seen those, but Heinemann maths scheme was very good.

That book is aimed at year 3 are there others too?
edited to add: DOH! have just scrolled down page and seen that they do 4,5,and 6 too.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Yoyo, that gives me confidence that they should be useful. :D
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

I have the year 4 and 5 word problem books, worked well for my DS, i used these along with Schofield and Sims mental maths, so he had the whole variety of maths problems. I think i have the year 6 as well. I bought the year 4 when he was in year 4 and he found it quite easy so we had to quickly move to the year 5 ones.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks 11+ Novice :) . Do you remember what S&S mental arithmetic book your DS was on in year 4? My DS is in year 3 and we've just started trying to do a page a week of S&S mental arith book no 2, but I would describe it as ok to challenging, not easy. I wasn't exactly sure which book to get as there seem to be 6 of them. :?
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

We started with S& S book 2 as there were gaps in his knowledge and this book was very good in filling those gaps. Book 2 was easy for him and i would say quite apt for Year 3 and book 3 is the correct level for year 4. Book 3 was not easy for him

DS got really fed with these and has now refused to do them. :roll: He only did half of book4, so we moved to Bond Fourth papers and just about to finish them. They were a refreshing change for him!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks that's v helpful. I've been interspersing the S&S with bond because I think a page of S&S looks a bit intimidating! He's been doing 1 10 minute section at a time once or twice (three times if I catch him on a good day!)a week.

I'm telling myself he'll thank me when he's 25. :lol:
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Just wanted to feedback that we got the Heinemann word problems book no 4 for year 3 DS, which I think is about the right level for him. It's really well presented for DC; because it also has little cartoon-type drawings it's not at all off-putting to DC. It's A5 size with about 5 questions on each page, so looks very manageable to my DS! So glad to find something which looks good content-wise and also appealing to children.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now