KS2 Level 6 Tuition in school?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blauwzvart

KS2 Level 6 Tuition in school?

Post by blauwzvart »

Our son has been asked to sit level 6 tests in maths and reading / comprehension. He is currently achieving 5A maths, 5A reading, 5B science and 5B english ( last report at Easter ).
However we're concerned that his school have not given him any extra tuition or even any meaningful homework, despite promising one to one etc, when we've broached the subject. He was originally told of the schools intentions regarding the level 6 tests last year so we feel that they have had time to arrange something. Previously the school refused to give us any help whatsoever when we entered him for the 11+ so I guess that we shouldn't be surprised. Reading other posts, it appears that some schools have been offering support ( after school clubs etc ).
Is it usual for a school to just throw a pupil into a test without any support or training? Or can we refuse to let him sit level 6 if it's not compulsory? He was upset at not gaining a GS place and we don't want his confidence knocked again.
wonderwoman

Re: KS2 Level 6 Tuition in school?

Post by wonderwoman »

At the school I teach at the pupils aren't given any extra preparation for the level 6 tests because their class work is differentiated and they are therefore always being given work suitable for their ability. As a result the tests just confirm the level they are working at.
mystery

Post by mystery »

So blauzwart needs to find out if this term DS will be covering some level 6 material or sitting on 5A work for the summer. Like you say, it should be possible to do it in class as part of normal differentiation, but maybe some schools don't. It's not long until the tests is it - what date? It would be quite easy to just practise at the same level until then wouldn't it?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My DS is being given the level 6 practice papers as extra homework. I would expect them to be having differentiated work in lessons anyway if they are consdiered to be performing ahead of some of the class.
scary mum
ahap

Post by ahap »

My DS is given level 6 papers in school to do once a week as practice. He was given some work to do during the holidays as well. This week they are having mock tests. I wish they had done this sort of practice for 11+.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blauwzvart

Post by blauwzvart »

Thanks everyone for replying.
The class work is differentiated, but only at a basic level ( e.g split into 3 groups ). There are two other children sitting level 6 in english / reading, but he is the only one in maths. He hasn't been given any different work from the rest of his table and he says that he is very bored now ( danger signals ). Homework for the holiday consisted of some pages of basic addition / subtraction / multiplication ( 588+5, 690-3, etc ). We do understand that the teaching has to cover the whole class and not just him, but this was so elementary that we were shocked. When we queried this with the school, we were told that son instantly understands maths, but has a lovely, caring disposition and voluntarily goes around the class helping the other children. We are proud of him for this, but I would rather he be given more challenging work than be used as a junior TA. We were told that he would be given one to one sessions, but we've been told that for a long time and it still hasn't happened. Since Easter there hasn't been any homework, with only three weeks till SATS.
We have been giving him level 6 papers as well as other tests and quizzes etc that we can find online, but I increasingly feel that we have home tutored him ( could have saved on school uniform ) with the 11+ and now this.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

blauwzvart wrote: He hasn't been given any different work from the rest of his table and he says that he is very bored now ( danger signals ). When we queried this with the school, we were told that son instantly understands maths, but has a lovely, caring disposition and voluntarily goes around the class helping the other children. We are proud of him for this, but I would rather he be given more challenging work than be used as a junior TA.
This is absolutely shocking. Good mathematicians do often instantly understand primary maths and require challenges that broaden their maths not just more of the same involving larger or smaller numbers. I can't believe any teacher thinks it's acceptable for a member of the class to be going around helping other pupils.

I'd just keep going with what you're doing at home. It doesn't matter what level he gets in SATs, his ability will still be the same and hope that next year he gets a proper maths teacher who can take him forward. Having said all that I'd have spoken to the head about the situation - it's just not good enough.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DS also doing level 6 and is not covering the work in school. I am unhappy about him doing the tests but if he is being made to do them then I would prefer the work to be covered. But of course that said it is a huge waste of resources in a primary classroom where level 4 is what is being aimed at. The whole thing is a nonsense in my view and is only being done to make the school look good...nothing in it at all for DS apart from hassle.
That said, I downloaded a paper and he had a go at it on Saturday and apart from a couple of questions, one on scatter diagrams and one on the area of a trapezium, he did pretty well I think. Might just pull a sicky on the day though. :twisted:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

IMHO Primaries are doing this to improve their value-added score not to benefit the children. These level 6 tests are optional so I suggest you opt out!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now