Do most people (who pass) complete all questions in the 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Do most people (who pass) complete all questions in the 11+?

Post by Manana »

DS asked me this yesterday and I didn't know! Those people whose other children have already taken the Essex 11+ or who has previously tutored, do you think the answer is yes? I presume that plenty of people who don't pass, don't finish, but would you say that most of those who did pass completed the papers. I can't imagine there is much time to check answers though?

I have never sat an exam where I didn't finish with a reasonable amount of time to check through to see if I'd missed pages out or gone wrong somewhere, but the pace of the 11+, especially the VR is fast!!
First-timer

Re: Do most people (who pass) complete all questions in the

Post by First-timer »

My DS passed but didn't finish his VR paper. He had to guess the answers to the last page of questions. He finished the other papers in good time. The real thing must be more challenging than the available practice papers as he'd never had an issue with timing before the exam.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Thank you-that's interesting to know! Do they give them a '5 minutes to go' warning so they can start guessing if they need to or are they expected to take and look at a watch regularly?
laretta

Post by laretta »

I have read on other threads that quite a few who got into tiffin (super selective in kingston, surrey without any catchment) did not finish. If your accuracy level is very very high, then having to guess a few is not neccessarily going to be detrimental - it all depends on the child and a bit of luck if you guess some.
Zeezeemum

Post by Zeezeemum »

My DD passed for 2012 entry into Chelmsford and she didnt finish any of the papers. She left out about 7 questions in the VR which is worth double but comfortably got in on offer day.

Speed has always been her problem but luckily she made up for this with accuracy in the ones she did manage to finish.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

Hi,
My eldest son left 5 questions in VR. My youngest son completed all three papers. He did say that they are given time warnings in all papers.
Hope this helps.
:D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Probably not relevant to Essex, but I would think in Buckinghamshire if you didn't finish you would have to be pretty sure of getting 100% on the ones you did do, and that's assuming only a handful of the 80 questions were left out. They need to be aiming at 90% to passs the Bucks test (the pass mark will be lower but not by much!).
scary mum
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Friend's daughter stopped to go to the loo and didn't finish her VR paper. She ended up scoring over 90%
Manana

Post by Manana »

scary mum wrote:Probably not relevant to Essex, but I would think in Buckinghamshire if you didn't finish you would have to be pretty sure of getting 100% on the ones you did do, and that's assuming only a handful of the 80 questions were left out. They need to be aiming at 90% to passs the Bucks test (the pass mark will be lower but not by much!).
Is it harder to pass the Bucks test than other areas then?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Manana wrote:
scary mum wrote:Probably not relevant to Essex, but I would think in Buckinghamshire if you didn't finish you would have to be pretty sure of getting 100% on the ones you did do, and that's assuming only a handful of the 80 questions were left out. They need to be aiming at 90% to passs the Bucks test (the pass mark will be lower but not by much!).
Is it harder to pass the Bucks test than other areas then?
It depends how you look at it - it is only VR, which will advantage some & disadvantage others. 30% pass so it isn't as selective as some, BUT the top 30% are all squeezed into a very narrow band of raw scores so they need to score very high marks to be sure of being in that top third.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now