Uniform advice needed - Beaconsfield High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kiwimum

Uniform advice needed - Beaconsfield High School

Post by Kiwimum »

My DD has her uniform fitting in a couple of weeks and I was just tallying up the cost.... kids certainly don't come cheap!

Just wondering if any existing parents can answer a few questions for me....

1. How many blouses at £19.99 each did your DD's have to start with? (My older DD has 6 white school blouses but they come in a pack of three for less than the cost of one here)

2. On the optional items did anyone buy the science overall and if you did, did it ever get worn?

3. I remember reading a thread on here last year (I think!) about not buying the rucksacks from the school because they are expensive - any thoughts or advice on what to buy would be great.

Any money saving tips regarding the uniform would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kiwimum
Atilla

Re: Uniform advice needed - Beaconsfield High School

Post by Atilla »

You have got me worrying. Different school, but I was thinking about uniform ordering in July, because of growth spurts and all. Am I leaving it too late?
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

I've had the forms through today for SWB and have to order uniform by 7th May for September!!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Kiwimum wrote:My DD has her uniform fitting in a couple of weeks and I was just tallying up the cost.... kids certainly don't come cheap!
There are regular complaints on here about the cost of the uniform for BHS, and it does seem to me to be OTT. (£19.99 for a single blouse, when I can buy 3 school shirts for £9.99?)

If you search for "uniform" in the Bucks section you should pick up the relevant threads.
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Atilla wrote:You have got me worrying. Different school, but I was thinking about uniform ordering in July, because of growth spurts and all. Am I leaving it too late?
BHS sent us an appointment for the uniform fitting in May - not really my style - I'm more of a 'last week of the summer holidays' kind of mum - but I will be allowing a LOT of room for growth (about 3 years worth should do it!).

Thanks Sally-Anne, I'll have a search around and see what I can find.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

We've had a letter from the suppliers for BGS telling us we need to order now to avoid getting caught up in the Olympics traffic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

scary mum wrote:We've had a letter from the suppliers for BGS telling us we need to order now to avoid getting caught up in the Olympics traffic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Going to be the excuse for just about anything ..... "can you mend my grandfather clock?" .... " oooo lets see - might be a backlog ... Olympics you know" :roll:

Re the shirts: DDs school are about £22 for 2 so not quite as bad as your and not as bad as her prep :shock: . I did get 2 packs - couldn't quite face only having 2 shirts with potential puberty with the need for associated excess shirt washing. :mrgreen:
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

hermanmunster wrote: Re the shirts: DDs school are about £22 for 2 so not quite as bad as your and not as bad as her prep :shock: . I did get 2 packs - couldn't quite face only having 2 shirts with potential puberty with the need for associated excess shirt washing. :mrgreen:
This is exactly why 15 year-old DD1 has 6 blouses - one for every day of the school week and an emergency blouse for when I have been really slack with the washing and ironing!
Six blouses at £19.99 each - I don't think so!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

we do manage with 4 - just have to make sure that they are actually in the washing and not left on the wardrobe ( sorry.. I mean the floor)
wodev

Post by wodev »

faitaccompli wrote:I've had the forms through today for SWB and have to order uniform by 7th May for September!!!
Same problem here with SWB. Trying to guess sizes for next year when DD is in the middle of a growth spurt is proving a problem!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now