Which Southend primary schools better prepare for 11plus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Caroline B

Which Southend primary schools better prepare for 11plus?

Post by Caroline B »

Hello

We are about to move into Southend from London, partly motivated by the grammar system, partly by family and some other stuff too. My son is currently in a CofE primary in London and my daughter will be 4 next summer , so we'll be applying for school later this year.

I have visited St Marys Prittlewell primary recently and really liked what I saw, I was told they also do optional VR in the mornings before school and link with the grammar schools sometimes, we also like the fact its a church school. It was therefore my plan to get my son into this school. Recently in March their OFSTED however has been disappointingly satisfactory, whereas it was good in 2006 which I'm shocked about. Does anyone have a view or know anything about this, or the school generally? I'm waiting to speak to someone there to see what their explanation is for the poor OFSTED.

I know there are outstanding schools across Southend, but apart from the house prices around those catchments, I really would like to send my kids to St Marys, and then hopefully onto grammar. This issue may really sway where we buy a house so any comments appreciated! :)

Thanks, Caroline
Manana

Re: Which Southend primary schools better prepare for 11plus

Post by Manana »

Caroline B wrote:Hello

We are about to move into Southend from London, partly motivated by the grammar system, partly by family and some other stuff too. My son is currently in a CofE primary in London and my daughter will be 4 next summer , so we'll be applying for school later this year.

I have visited St Marys Prittlewell primary recently and really liked what I saw, I was told they also do optional VR in the mornings before school and link with the grammar schools sometimes, we also like the fact its a church school. It was therefore my plan to get my son into this school. Recently in March their OFSTED however has been disappointingly satisfactory, whereas it was good in 2006 which I'm shocked about. Does anyone have a view or know anything about this, or the school generally? I'm waiting to speak to someone there to see what their explanation is for the poor OFSTED.

I know there are outstanding schools across Southend, but apart from the house prices around those catchments, I really would like to send my kids to St Marys, and then hopefully onto grammar. This issue may really sway where we buy a house so any comments appreciated! :)

Thanks, Caroline
West Leigh and Bournes Green are the main two that have a heavy focus on the 11+. The private schools run clubs/boosters as well and other schools eg Heycroft/North Street/Earls Hall/Chalkwell/Thorpe get a reasonable number of children through. St Mary's is situated in quite a mixed area but, obviously being a faith school, has a wider catchment than this. Why don't you ring and ask them how many children they got through last year?

This year will be different again though, as previously those attending Southend primary schools were given priority over those outside of the immediate vicinity and were able to get a lower pass mark than those in eg Rochford/Rayleigh/Canvey. As of this year-priority will be given to a much wider area, so this may (though the consortium disagrees with me ;) ) affect the numbers of Southend children passing.
panichead

Post by panichead »

Have to say,having 2 dc's who attended Bournes Green their attitude towards the 11+ was dire! When my dd was in Y6 her teacher told them that she didn't believe in the grammar school system and they should all go to the local comp (albeit not a bad option).

Having said that the school is rated outstanding and my both my dc's love(d) it there and I am very happy with the progress they have made. Bournes Green probably has the largest intake for SHSG/SHSB (probably because we all had to get tutors to top up their learning).

Should point out though that now the catchment area has changed they have made a conscious effort to help with 11+ preparation and the children are doing some practice papers (albeit only once since start of Y5!!)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm not sure what guidelines Essex give to primary schools , but here in Kent the schools are not allowed to coach for the Kent test.

I found this, which was very interesting.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/p ... to_kcc_sch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Manana

Post by Manana »

panichead wrote:Have to say,having 2 dc's who attended Bournes Green their attitude towards the 11+ was dire! When my dd was in Y6 her teacher told them that she didn't believe in the grammar school system and they should all go to the local comp (albeit not a bad option).

Having said that the school is rated outstanding and my both my dc's love(d) it there and I am very happy with the progress they have made. Bournes Green probably has the largest intake for SHSG/SHSB (probably because we all had to get tutors to top up their learning).

Should point out though that now the catchment area has changed they have made a conscious effort to help with 11+ preparation and the children are doing some practice papers (albeit only once since start of Y5!!)
Interestingly- whilst perusing the teaching job adverts recently in the Jobscene, there was one for a teacher at Bournes Green and one of the 'wants' for the job was a working knowledge and experience in the 11+! Maybe your old Y6 teacher wasn't speaking the party line...!
panichead

Post by panichead »

The deputy head is retiring so teacher movement etc! Think the request for 11+ experience is because there has been lots of complaints about the lack of support in preparing children for the exam. It has been a bone of contention for many a year!!!
:twisted:
moved

Post by moved »

I have had a pupil from St. Mary's. His parents were pleased with the school, but found 11+ preparation to be lacking, hence engaging a tutor.
sisterofgloucestermum

Post by sisterofgloucestermum »

My son is at West Leigh and there is a heavy focus on the 11 plus. Children have a weekly VR lesson from year 3, they're ability streamed in year 5 with the brightest doing 11 plus specific work. That said the majority of kids still have a tutor....mine included.

From local knowledge I don't think the other schools (apart from BG) do any targeted practice during the core day. NS and Chalkwell have out of school clubs. Despite my son being at WL I now live close to St Mary's. It has a good local reputation and is definitely one of the better performing schools.

With the new admission arrangements I would chose a primary school in Benfleet which feeds to The King John School (a good performing comp). You won't be disadvantaged if you apply for the 11 plus and have the option of a good comp if things don't go to plan!
thankgoditsover

Post by thankgoditsover »

Caroline B

If you are also thinking of the King John School in Benfleet if you aren't in CATCHMENT (no feeder schools) or pass their entrance exam, 1 VR paper, then you wont get in. My oldest is in yr 9 at KJS and is doing brilliantly for an 'average' student. My youngest starts at at SHSG this september and will be either travelling by bus -almost door to door, or train slightly less journey time. We were lucky to have an excellent fall back school had DD not passed the 11+, you may not be so lucky depending where you move to in southend.
sisterofgloucestermum

Post by sisterofgloucestermum »

Surely catchment and feeder schools are the same thing? Certain primary schools 'feed' to the secondary schools...because they are 'in catchment'.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now