is this a bad idea?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

is this a bad idea?

Post by menagerie »

My DS will sit exams for selective indies in Jan 2013. They are academic schools, hard to get into. (RGS Guildford.)

I was thinking of putting in for the Tiffin exam, just for the experience in sitting an exam, as at school he's not expected to sit still or shut up for more than 10 minutes and this is a far bigger stumbling block for him than the work itself. But DS isn't keen on sitting it. He didn't like Tiffin when we saw it and may think I'm trying to try him for it, for real. I've explained it's just for practise, I'd be incredibly surprised at a pass as we haven't prepped for Tiffin, we don't expect him to pass and have said so.

Is it a bad idea? Is it unethical to sit for a school you are unlikely to send your child to?
hermanmunster

Re: is this a bad idea?

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it would only be unethical if you also were actually applying for the school ie putting it on the CAF and being offered a place which you have no intention of taking and which another child could have.

As you aren't planning to do this then it is OK to take the exam - plenty of people will put their kids into Indie exams without any definite intention of sending them there - they do it as a backup in case they don't get what they hope for elsewhere.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Or there is Sutton mocks
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I wonder, though, how useful the experience will be because for Tiffin boys' school it's only VR and NVR and I presume RGS Guildford test for maths and English as well? And, perhaps, VR? Might there be other GS school exams he could sit which would also be closer in content to the exams set by RGS Guildford?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Do the Sutton mocks. Then you will be able to look at your marks in the context of all the other results and you can do data analysis to your heart's content! It will really focus him on what it really feels like to do an entrance exam in a hall with hundreds of other children. DG
dlb

Post by dlb »

No, it is not unethical for your child to sit for a school you might not send them to. Everyone is doing it! Not many children only sit one 11+ exam. You need to have some options and choice at the end of the day. If you are lucky enough to get into several schools then you are in a good position. However, if you limit yourself, you may not get a choice of any schools you like if your child is not successful in the entrance exam to these preferred ones. RGS covers maths and english as well as the VR/NVR I think and an interview.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now