Oversubscriptiion appeal.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bizziebee

Oversubscriptiion appeal.

Post by Bizziebee »

Hi All,
Am so grateful to have found this site and have already had many queries answered but still have a few!
Our son passed 11plus well acvheiving 83% over all 3 papers. Pass mark was 71%. We are out of catchment for nearest Grammar and are currently 4 th on waiting list. Our appeal date is 17th May and we are appealing on academic and sporting abilty namely rugby, as school in question has great reputation for this. We have had v supportive letters/ references from head teacher, class teacher, rugby, cricket and football coaches ( last three at clubs outside of school.) Despite these, I am concerned that we don't have enough evidence. Pleaase could you advise, Many thanks :D
Etienne

Re: Oversubscriptiion appeal.

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Bizziebee

Niggling questions re. appeals!

Post by Bizziebee »

Morning all,
I don't know whether anyone can answer my query; I am confused re. the appeal system. Are all appeals whether non qualification or oversubscription given the same 'chance'? or do those appealing against oversubsciption have an edge? Would be very grateful for anyone's comments/advice.
Many thanks. :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

All appeals should receive equal consideration.

Clearly, if non-qualification is an issue, there's an extra hurdle to overcome - but that doesn't mean the starting point is to prioritise those who are qualified.

Indeed, someone with a strong case for qualification and strong reasons for wanting a place should stand a better chance than someone whose child has qualified but whose reasons for wanting a place are not so strong.
Etienne
Bizziebee

Post by Bizziebee »

Morning all,
our date for appeal draws ever closer and I seem to have more queries by the minute! As mentioned in previous posts, our appeal is for oversubscription/ resources. We have recieved all the evidence from the school/governors and as anticipated, they are stating that the classes are full and have cited desk allocation, numbers of toilets etc. Obviously as our son has passed the 11plus, I remain confused as to whether we still need to take more academic evidence such as school books, or whether we focus on reasons why the school in question is the only one suitable for his needs.
I have read all the help provided by this site and am v grateful but having read some of the experiences quoted, some state that the panel may argue that they don't need more academic evidence having passed the 11plus so well,
Many thanks. :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do you have any reason to think that his average score should have been even higher than 83%?

Could you tell us what the three 11+ papers were?

Do you happen to know the individual score for each paper?

Do you have any clear evidence to suggest that he should have performed even better in one of these papers?

:)
Etienne
Bizziebee

Post by Bizziebee »

Thanks Etienne for your prompt reply.
We had no particular ecxpectations of his result of the 11plus, he had no imput from his primary school, although supportive, and had only 8 hours of private tutoring.
The three papers were maths 121/140 = 86%
English 111/ 140 = 79%
Verbal reasoning 114 / 140 = 81%.
Total was 346/420 and pass mark was 302.
We are out of catchment and currently 4 th on waiting list.
Conitnued thanks for you help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Let's take a hypothetical example. If the primary school had administered a couple of NFER VR tests during the KS2 years (and I appreciate that only some primary schools do this), and if he had scored 130+ each time, then you could have tried arguing that the 114 was a bit of a blip, and that there is evidence to show that he could reasonably have been expected to score even more highly in the 11+.

If you had no particular expectations of the 11+, and if there's no clear evidence that he ought to have performed even more highly than he did, then I see no reason for going down this road and trying to put forward this sort of case. Much better to focus entirely on your reasons for wanting a place (and the more reasons, the better!).

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
Bizziebee

Post by Bizziebee »

Thanks Etienne for last reply, hopefully only one last question before the big day! Is it normal practice for the governors of the school to comment on our reasons for appeal in writing before our appeal. This has been incorporated into the 'summary for the governors' documentation sent out 2 weeks ago. Thanks as always for your help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't think so - although I'm aware it happens occasionally.

I would have thought the procedure should be that you send your case to the clerk, and the governors do likewise. The clerk then sends all the appeal papers simultaneously to all parties (you, the governors, and the panel) a week or two before the hearing.

Why are the governors previewing your case and commenting on it, when I assume you were not given any opportunity to preview and comment on theirs?

Having said that, it probably doesn't matter. Indeed, you have the advantage of knowing what their line of attack is going to be! :)
Etienne