As French

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
layla22

As French

Post by layla22 »

Can anyone help me please with this problem.
DD is doing GCSE French this summer and the first leg of AS French- the oral part.She is worried with the extra work load she has, she may not now get the top grade in the AS oral that she was hoping for.
Question- If she gets a lower grade than hoped for this summer and repeats oral next year and hopefully gets the grade she wants ( and do the written of course), does she need to declare the lower grade to UCCAS?
I phoned UCCAS today and they said if she gets a certificate for an exam then it has to be declared. Do you get a certificate for doing part 1 of the exam?
DD is now thinking not to do the oral this summer if it means a lower grade needs to be "declared"
The school were unhelpful. Did not really understand what I was on about.
Can anyone help us please?
layla22

Re: As French

Post by layla22 »

As I have now found out the answer, I thoughtIi would share this, in case the lack of response was due to no one knowing the answer.
Whatever grade you get in a module unis will be able to access a central database to find out the score for any modules a candidate has done.
So there is nowhere to hide!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thereis nowhere to hide, you are correct, but there are many students who don't perform as well in the As exams as expected still getting their preferred offers - you can state 'grade pending' I think which means to those in the know that you are resitting.
ql7gt3ssJBtku0kS

Post by ql7gt3ssJBtku0kS »

layla22 wrote:Can anyone help me please with this problem.
DD is doing GCSE French this summer and the first leg of AS French- the oral part.

See Cambridge's Policy, but every other university thinks the same even if it doesn't say so as clearly:
We are, of course, in favour of stretching and challenging learners, but not at the expense of levels of achievement. Thus, we would discourage schools and colleges from entering their students early for public examinations unless they are very confident that top grades will be obtained. A grade B in an AS Level taken in Year 11 is still a B in our eyes; it is not equivalent to an A in the same qualification taken in Year 12. Where students are successfully taking qualifications early, we would still want to see evidence that they can cope with a workload equivalent to three A Levels taken simultaneously.
Amber

Post by Amber »

A very useful quote...it should be pinned in every school staff room.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Oh sorry :oops: completely missed the fact that your daughter is doing this in y11.

I would think she has the opportunity to retake the oral part in y12 if the grade is disappointing, and if better declare that on the UCAS form. I believe the universities can discover the other grade if they choose to look for it, but I don't believe they always do.
layla22

Post by layla22 »

DD has decided not to do it after all- too much stress with all the other subjects and only now just completing "controlled assessments " in English and she is not sure she will get an A anyway.
Anyone else's DC still doing controlled assessments 3 weeks before exam starts?
Amber

Post by Amber »

layla22 wrote:DD has decided not to do it after all- too much stress with all the other subjects and only now just completing "controlled assessments " in English and she is not sure she will get an A anyway.
Anyone else's DC still doing controlled assessments 3 weeks before exam starts?
Yes. DD has Mandarin and tells me the deadline for submission is May 1.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Extended Project
We welcome the introduction of the Extended Project and would encourage you to undertake one as it will help you develop independent study and research skills, which will ease the transition from school/college to higher education. However, completion of an Extended Project won't be a requirement of any offer made.
Happy with that as we have said no to the extended project, pleased the school offer it but feel that DS1 is starting to find his own path.

Next big decision three or four A2s but we have lots of time and AS experience will guide.

Edit: another useful doc.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduat ... ements.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now