Lost in 11+ Land

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
baadil

Lost in 11+ Land

Post by baadil »

Hello,

I would like my son to sit 11+ exam. He is currently in Year 4. I cannot afford to send him to any tution centres etc. so my goal is to coach him myself.

Considering how I learn; I usually make a list of the type of items I need to learn, then tick through them one at a time. Essentially like a Syllabus. Is there a list of items, or type of items that I can start with for 11+? I understnad there are test books etc, and I have those and can get more as needed. But in order for me to teach him concepts, I would like to have a list of items to work through.

Any ideas how to start on this? You can either reply here or PM me.

Thank you.
nethermancer

Re: Lost in 11+ Land

Post by nethermancer »

It depends on which Grammar School you are aiming for. For Ilford County you will only need to train for Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning. For others you may need Maths and English as well.

Be aware that you will need to spend at least £200 on Bond type books and exam papers. Save the papers for one month before the exam and schedule accordingly them. Plan a schedule for Bond books starting now and finishing the last at least 1 month before the exam. start with 9-10 age level books and work through in difficulty until the 13+ books are done. About 1 book per week should be doable without imposing too much of a burden (Maths books may take 2 weeks as they have more tests in them). Start with the Bond Books called How to Do.... (such as How To Do Verbal Reasoning papers) as these will provide you with the techniques required to do all the different types of question quickly and efficiently.
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

a book a week sounds alot!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

nethermancer wrote:Start with the Bond Books called How to Do.... (such as How To Do Verbal Reasoning papers) as these will provide you with the techniques required to do all the different types of question quickly and efficiently.
I am very sorry to have to disagree with you, nethermancer, but the Redbridge tests are set by GL assessment, and Bond VR materials are not appropriate practice.

baadil, there is more information about the Redbridge tests here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ge-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and a link to appropriate practice materials, all of which are available from our bookshop, mostly at discounted prices compared to high street retailers. There are versions of many of the materials for younger children.

For Redbridge VR, all Patricia's tips for DIY preparation for Bucks are equally applicable to Redbridge
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't be of much help on NVR, but I am sure that others will suggest tips for preparation.

Apart from using published materials, encourage a wider vocabulary and rock solid times tables. There is advice on preparing younger children for the test here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... -3-year-4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and if you explore the wider website that surrounds this forum, you will find a lot of helpful information.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now