Train to Kings or KGGs from Retford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
onetogo.tgft

Train to Kings or KGGs from Retford

Post by onetogo.tgft »

Hi,

Enquiring on behalf of a friend, does anyone travel by train to Kings or KGGS from Retford? Trying to gauge if there are other DC's who may use this route so that her DC might have travel companions on this route to the schools.

Thank you :D
hermanmunster

Re: Train to Kings or KGGs from Retford

Post by hermanmunster »

Goodness! Long distance but actually quite a speedy train route with no changes, hopefully someone will let you know - otherwise would be reasonable to ask school whether there are any kids doing this and see if they would ask the kids parents to contact you.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

If I lived in Retford I wouldn't hesitate about putting a DS in for Kings, as it less than 20mins on the train (alot less than most school buses) and no catchment.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Don't know about the actual train journey but the train station is a good 10-15 mins through the centre of town once you get off the train ( depends on how quick you walk and how many bags to carry :roll: ) to either school - just something to bear in mind perhaps
Loo
emmgemuk

Post by emmgemuk »

The train station is a good walk away from Kings, I am talking 15 to 20 minutes and not a nice walk either.

It would concern me though that if no other kids from locally are going will your DS be lonely? Meeting up for parties/ trips to cinema/discos etc will be a right pain for you all.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Thats a good point Emmgemuk re the social side. Re DC's going to schools that class mates aren't etc that's a big problem in our area of Notts anyway, as we are very much a non 11+ school (less than 5 sit it and sometimes only 1). There has been many occasion where only one child has gone of to grammar. I have a friend in Nottingham, whose son will be going for Kings this year and he is the only child in his school taking the 11 plus this year.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tends to be the case in Nottingham - other than in the private primaries, there will be a scattering of kids taking indie exams and even fewer taking the 11 plus to go to Lincolnshire schools.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

There definitely are DC's travelling in from Retford. My cousin mentioned that whenever she picks her partner up from Retford Station there are DS's getting off the train from Kings. I also know of a friend of a friend whose DC's travel into Grantham from Newark (same line) she has 3 DC's travelling into Grantham and the rail fare is a lot cheaper than paying for 3 of them to go on the bus, so they have been doing that for a couple of years.