KS2 Level 5 vs level 6 and KGGS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

betaff

KS2 Level 5 vs level 6 and KGGS

Post by betaff »

Our daughter passed her 11+ and has a place at KGGS.

We are out of the catchment area and our primary school do no prep work for 11+ as there are no schools within catchment area which still require these exams to be taken so it's all been a bit new to us!

When taking test SATS my daughter has got 5a/b/c in everything and her teacher has this week mentioned taking maths at Level 6.

We are just wondering what difference this will make when she gets to KGGS - I have had a look at a level 6 maths paper and to be honest they have not really covered anything in the paper at school and I suspect she would not get a particularly great score.

Presumably, the scores she gets determine which level of class she is put into once she gets to KGGS? We want her to be in the 'better' groups if this is the case, but am really not sure about the level 6 papers.

She did not have any coaching for the 11+. We bought a few papers for her to get a feel for what to expect but didn't really spend a huge amount of time on them. She had decided that she didn't want to go to KGGS so didn't put in a huge amount of extra effort. After passing though she immediately changed her mind and can't wait to go now.

I'm just wondering if anyone could maybe advise what impact the SATS scores have when getting to KGGS. I have read that if she gets level 5 a,b or c it is just recorded as a level 5. Is this correct?

Is it better for her to stick with taking Level 5 papers and get a good score, and leaving the Level 6 which she has not studied for at all?

Any advice would be truly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Kirsti
moved

Re: KS2 Level 5 vs level 6 and KGGS

Post by moved »

As the level 6 was introduced rather quickly last year's paper was an old, unused single level test. The newer tests will be aimed more at a primary school child. The problem is that tests take two years to develop.

If your daughter does not obtain level 6 it won't make any difference to her, should she get be awarded level 6 you can view it as a feather in her cap.
betaff

Post by betaff »

Thanks!

Does this mean that it is an additional test and gives her the opportunity to score a level 6, but if she does not do too well her standard test paper score will be used?

If she gets level 5a, b or c will this be used to determine which level of class she is placed in at KGGS?

So... she could have a go at the Level 6 paper without fearing that a poor result would have much of an effect - she would just fall back on the main paper?

Many thanks!

P.S. Do you know what score she would need to get on the maths paper to 'pass' the level 6 paper? Thanks!
moved

Post by moved »

To score a level 6 she must get a level 5 on the standard paper, no a, b or c is awarded. She must then get a high enough score on the level 6 paper, taken the following week, to be awarded a level 6. Her school must feel that she is capable of achieving the level or they would not put her in for the test. The score needed in the exam will not be fixed until after all the papers have been marked.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Is this Kesteven and Grantham?

I am sure the SATS levels whether in the standard papers or the level 6 paper will make any difference to the group she is put into - they will want to assess the girls themselves over time. As Moved says, of the school think she can have a good go at level 6 then fine to do it - no problem if she doesn't get it.
betaff

Post by betaff »

Yes, it's Kesteven and Grantham that I mean

Many thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

I went to talk to Head of KS2 this morning because my son is also supposed to be sitting the level 6 paper, against my better judgement. The school is not preparing him for the exam which to me is fair enough as it is not Year 6 material. Anyway, I was told that whether or not should he reach the illustrious heights of level 6, the information will not be passed to his secondary (grammar) school. It is purely for the primary school's benefit, it seems. In fact the teacher being made to put him through it is against it too, so am not quite sure why all this is happening. I certainly won't view it as any kind of 'feather in his cap' and, as I told the teacher, I would rather he had a cookery afternoon or went out to play than sat practising any more b ***dy papers. :(
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

I actually feel that considering my son has only been at his new school for a few weeks, that he ought not sit the SATs anyway - how can his results reflect on what the school as taught him when he is only using the knowledge gained at another school to take the test? If the results are only useful for the school, then he should be exempt, surely?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now