List of types not needed from Bond?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gatleymum

List of types not needed from Bond?

Post by gatleymum »

My daughter will be doing GL assessment multiple choice in Trafford in Sept. We have been heavily concentrating on maths up till now because she hadn't been taught a lot of that and seemed to find VR and NVR pretty easy in comparison. I believe she only needs to do 21 types, but we have the Bond books which contain 40. Is there a list somewhere of the types that are in Bond but not GL so I can cross those questions out when we go back to working on VR? Or is it better to fork out for additional books? Her main stumbling blocks are the hidden word questions and the meanings of particular words (we are working through the words on the vocabulary list to try and help this).
Reading Mum

Re: List of types not needed from Bond?

Post by Reading Mum »

it does depend on your target school / area. I don't think Bond is recommended prep for GL papers.

There is a thread that maps the IPS types (21 of them) to the Susan Daughtrey types (35 types plus sub types). For Bucks the 21 types are enough but for my target school in Berks we are covering the full 35+
Both are GL papers I believe so it is a bit of a minefield
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

If you only need the 21 types and as Reading mum says it depends on area, I wouldn't advise bond as there are a lot of better materials which focus on the 21 types only. Re hidden 4 letter word if you do the 3/1 2/2 1/3 technique they get the hang of it really quickly.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Please could you explain the above to me?
Orson

Post by Orson »

I posted a list of IPS types mapped to SD types. See sticky at the top of the VR section.

I estimate that about 40% of Bond is irrelevant. When I administer Bond assessment papers I typically have to cross through 25-35 questions in an 80-question test.

The 3/1, 2/2, 1/3 technique refers to a strategy used to find hidden four-letter words:
Using your index fingers or thumbs you cover all the letters in a word apart from the last three and all the letters in the following word apart from the first one (3/1). Can you read a word? If not, you move along one letter with your fingers/thumbs thereby exposing the last two letters of one word and the first two of the next word (2/2). Then, if necessary, move along to expose the last letter of one word and the first three of the next word (1/3). Work your way through the sentence until you find the hidden word.
Pratz

Post by Pratz »

Thanks Orson!
My son is in Y4 and I've just started on the 11+ journey. Didn't know that such techniques exist. Where can i find more of these?
gatleymum

Post by gatleymum »

Thanks, will teach her that systematic technique.
If I was to get one book/papers for practice to fill the time gap before we start doing GL papers, what would you recommend?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Pratz wrote:Thanks Orson!
My son is in Y4 and I've just started on the 11+ journey. Didn't know that such techniques exist. Where can i find more of these?
if you look in the bookshop there is a book by IPS on methods and techniques for VR

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/s ... rch&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

where are you based?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

gatleymum wrote:Thanks, will teach her that systematic technique.
If I was to get one book/papers for practice to fill the time gap before we start doing GL papers, what would you recommend?
have a look here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Trafford/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now