Saying Goodbye to Secondary School

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moonlight

Saying Goodbye to Secondary School

Post by Moonlight »

Next Friday 11th May is the end of an era in our household. DD officially leaves school on this day! She will be returning for exams and study sessions but this will be the day for tears, hugs, smiles and remembering the good times and maybe some not such good times too!

I just don't know where these last five years have gone; in fact the last twelve years really. My little girl is now a young lady and is ready to venture into a new phase of her life.

Although I haven't had the same involvement as at primary school, it does seem weird to think that her school will no longer be part of our lives anymore. We are invited back for one last time in the Autumn, when the Principal hands out all the awards and GCSE certificates so that will be nice.

Does anyone else have mixed feelings about their son/daughter leaving secondary school?
scary mum

Re: Saying Goodbye to Secondary School

Post by scary mum »

DD is the same age but will be staying on to 6th form, as most around here seem to - we don't really have any 6th form colleges. Some move schools because they fancy a change, or for a particular subject etc. I think it does seem very grown up to be leaving school. Will your DD be going on to somewhere else. In many ways I am in favour of 6th form colleges as a step towards more independence but we just ont ave access o them (or not without an awful journey). I feel your pain :D
scary mum
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

DS1 is in year 13 so is leaving school for good in a few weeks and DS2 is in year 11 and will be leaving school temporarily.

DS1 has told me he is going to be sad but said that he is ready to leave now and needs to move on. It will be very emotional for us all as he loves his school and has been very happy there. DS2 is hoping to go back to his school in sixth form as he loves it. I guess we couldn't hope for more. One at a comp, two at grammar, all equally happy!

I remember when eldest DS went off to senior school someone said to me 'They go in a boy and come out a man'. How true. I remember their first day at school so clearly. I dropped them off at the bus stop and then sat in the car until I saw the bus go by, shedding a few tears. Time marches on. They have grown into young men. Where has that time gone.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Yes DD will be starting Sixth Form College in August but her current school does not have this facility.

It will be a bit of a shock for her to start back in August rather than September! :)
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My eldest son had a few friends go to sixth form college Moonlight and they have loved it!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Fran17 wrote:I remember when eldest DS went off to senior school someone said to me 'They go in a boy and come out a man'. How true.
I too was told this when my DS started Year 7. Maybe we heard this from the same person. I wonder... :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

She'll probably be ready for it by then after a long break! Of course when I say DD will be going back into 6th form it does rather depend on her getting a clutch of decent GCSEs! We don't have plan B which I hope isn't a mistake...
scary mum
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Moonlight wrote:I too was told this when my DS started Year 7. Maybe we heard this from the same person. I wonder... :)
:lol:

Scary mum we haven't got a plan b for DS2 either. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

scary mum wrote:She'll probably be ready for it by then after a long break! Of course when I say DD will be going back into 6th form it does rather depend on her getting a clutch of decent GCSEs! We don't have plan B which I hope isn't a mistake...
I know exactly what you mean with the GCSE results. We too do not have a plan B. We have to be optimistic don't we? However, it will be a slightly anxious moment on 23rd August to say the least! :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My third is leaving school this year - at the end of 6th form, yes I wonder where all the years have gone. It is quite sad, but at the same time really exciting for them :lol: . I do think I was more sad when they left primary school because at that point they ceased to be little children and started growing up so quickly from then on. I guess though I will be more sad when my youngest is leaving school altogether as that will be the passing of an era :shock: but we have a couple of years yet
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now