Shortening cricket trousers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pheasantchick

Shortening cricket trousers

Post by pheasantchick »

I know as a modern, 21st century woman I should be able to do everything but sometimes I wish I was a 1950's housewife, able to do sewing and bake victoria sponges.

Please can someone advise me how to shorten some cricket trousers? The trousers came with some hemming tape (not sure what to call it) but I don't quite know how to go about it. Please help! Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Shortening cricket trousers

Post by hermanmunster »

Is the papery webby hemming tape?

What you do is......

... just read this !

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/discussion/gene ... ts/307009/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

There is something about the design of cricket trousers which seems to make them very difficult, perhaps that sewn in front seam. Plus in my experience, the trouser is always extremely long for even my extremely tall DS. Which makes the turn up enormous!

Don't what ever you do, be tempted as I was by some glue stuff which promised to be easy for turn ups. It did work, but the problem was that (1) it was pretty much instant so I couldn't reposition my turn up and ended up with a horrible, gathered, lop-sided effect, and (2) it dried a horrible brown colour which showed through the trousers. They looked just awful, really not my best domestic goddess moment :oops: :roll: .

If I had to do it again (thankfully so far cricket trousers not needed this year), I would bite the bullet and turn them up properly, eg trim them a couple of inches longer than needed and turn them in by about 3/4 inch and then again by the amount needed for the correct length. Then hem by hand. Feels like more work, but probably easier in the long run.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Personally I would use hemming tape ..I call it wonder web ( I have used staples before :lol: )....and the end result would be skew whiff trousers flapping around the ankles which then look dodgy when taken back down...maybe pin them or sew a couple of stitches first to get them straight . I could send DH round PC, he sews everything in our house with minute stitches a Victorian Granny would be proud of.
Amber

Post by Amber »

There are two solutions to this, an easy one and a hard one.
The easy one is to feed your child masses of protein and invest in a stretching rack. Buy some shoes with built in height enhancers, and persuade him or her of the merits of very long trousers dragging on the floor, or being the first one to wear shorts, or taking up synchronised swimming instead of cricket.

The hard one is to stand the child on a chair in its cricket spikes and trousers. Make some kind of mark to indicate the required length of trouser. Remove child from chair, remove spikes and trousers from child. Mend spike holes in chair. Have a large gin and tonic. Trim tape to length of perimeter of trouser leg. Get ironing board and put trouser leg onto it, fold it to required length with trousers inside out. The next bit is such fun that I am tempted to skip over it to allow you to discover the delights of the stuff yourself, but here is a hint - it is meant to adhere with heat and bond the surfaces together. In my experience it does this selectively - when you have the trouser leg in the correct position, it will stubbornly refuse to adhere and you will, instead, singe the material. On the other hand, when you accidentally mis-position it, it will stick like superglue and only pulling a hole in the trouser will put the two asunder.

The child should be warned, with a stern look and, if, necessary, a finger held threateningly in the air, that comments about anything being 'the wrong length', 'not straight' or 'looking stupid' will not be welcomed.

If you do go with the second solution, I suggest not feeding the child for several months in order to make it worthwhile having gone through the procedure.

HTH :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber, you are spot on .... except you missed a few G&T's out of the process :lol: :lol: :lol:
sp

Post by sp »

Having done all this several times, all of which ended up hanging down any way, I also have 2 solutions, one easy and one even easier:

1 Just don't bother as they'll come down very soon anyway.

2 Ask a visiting Granny to hem them properly as she'll do it so much better (that's what I tell her, get's me a gold star for crawling)
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

:lol: :lol: sp

and it lets Granny feel superior to you which she will enjoy so much
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

pheasantchick wrote: Please can someone advise me how to shorten some cricket trousers? The trousers came with some hemming tape (not sure what to call it) but I don't quite know how to go about it. Please help! Thanks.
Well the easy answer in this house is to bundle DS and trousers off to Nan's and let her do it - she likes to do it and I haven't the patience to sew I'm afraid. It's the same with putting name tags into school clothes just bundle it off and send it round to hers, she will then bring it back all done nice and neat and then explain where she has put the tags and why!! I don't care where they go just as long as they are done, thank you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now