Help needed to improve comprehension of DD going to Grammar

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chocolatey Mum

Help needed to improve comprehension of DD going to Grammar

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

My DD has been told by the school that her comprehention needs to be improved.
I have to agree.

She had really good 11+ scores and gained a place at her 1st choice, but I don't want her falling behind due to her weak comprehention.

I know avid reading is excellent at improving it but she is a reluctant reader and always needs pushing to read.

Her literacy teacher was supposed to give her some extra work over Easter but the Year 6 teachers decided not to set homework accross the year, so nothing came home.

Could someone recommend any books or websites that could help her please?
Guest55

Re: Help needed to improve comprehention of DD going to Gram

Post by Guest55 »

You could use the KS2 tests in Reading - see http://www.emaths.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for old papers and mark schemes.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Reading together would improve her comprehension especially if you discuss bits as you go along. She may actually prefer this as she is a reluctant reader.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is she about to sit SATS? If so do some past papers together and then go through the mark schemes together. She will soon start to pick up what is required of her. Try and do the much older ones as she will probably be doing mocks in the 2009/2008/2007/2006 ones when she goes back for the Summer term. DG
modernista

Post by modernista »

I cant stress reading enough! We did only few practice papers and my daughter did outstandingly well in Nonsuch English. This is due to reading. Well done to you and DD for getting into your chosen grammar
1. If she will not read, read to her. I am assuming she spent some time each week preparing. Spend that time reading to her. It will be much more enjoyable than 11 plus practice.
2.Books like The family at One end street and Artichoke hearts (both award winning) are not necessarily on reading lists but are stories about girls and my daughter found that interesting.
3. Dont give up. Find the type of books she likes reading.
4. Go to the library. It is free. Pick up 12 books or whatever is the maximum. Let her reject 11. Even if she reads one, its is a start. Go back after a few days.
laretta

Post by laretta »

modernista wrote:I cant stress reading enough! We did only few practice papers and my daughter did outstandingly well in Nonsuch English. This is due to reading. Well done to you and DD for getting into your chosen grammar
1. If she will not read, read to her. I am assuming she spent some time each week preparing. Spend that time reading to her. It will be much more enjoyable than 11 plus practice.
2.Books like The family at One end street and Artichoke hearts (both award winning) are not necessarily on reading lists but are stories about girls and my daughter found that interesting.
3. Dont give up. Find the type of books she likes reading.
4. Go to the library. It is free. Pick up 12 books or whatever is the maximum. Let her reject 11. Even if she reads one, its is a start. Go back after a few days.
Modernista is spot on, reading is great. My dd did not enjoy reading much, but did like sharing the reading with me. I read a page and then she reads a page - I found that her expression came along in leaps and bounds too as she almost tried to compete with mine! Whenever something in the text has been implied, but not actually stated - ask her what she thinks it means and explain if she was unable to read between the lines. Also ask "what do you think is going to happen next" when the story appears to be leading in a certain direction.
Good luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now