Does anyone have?Presenting Officers Case for Sep 2011 SHFG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
senmum

Does anyone have?Presenting Officers Case for Sep 2011 SHFG

Post by senmum »

Re Southend High School For Girls
I am interested if anyone has the presenting officers case for entry last year (Sep 2011)?
I would like to compare it with the case for this year - in particular how many students had been offered and had accepted against their admissions number at this time last year - especially as they seem to be down 4 students below their admission number in their current year 7. I am thinking it might indicate how many fall out between appeal and Sep the following year - so make their case for "I'm full" a little less convincing.

Thanks
moved

Re: Does anyone have?Presenting Officers Case for Sep 2011 S

Post by moved »

How many girls are currently in year 7? Are there only 146?
senmum

Post by senmum »

The Presenting Officers case for entry September 2012 says
" ..the schools optimum capacity is 1077 students. We currently have 1039 students but the extra places are almost all in the sixth form except for 4 places in next year's year 8 which we have not yet filled because we have not found students for whom a grammer school is the appropriate school."

interesting ? - seems current year 7 is at 146
moved

Post by moved »

Very interesting, means that out of catchment must have gone down to 303 for that year.
senmum

Post by senmum »

Not sure from their info - all they say is that "this year the last in borough person offered a place was at the cut-off position of 303.4620"
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

According to the data in the Southend (LA)Secondary Admissions boooklet that we were given last September http://www.southend.gov.uk/download/380 ... nformation, for admission in September 2011, i.e. current year 7, SHSG offered 137 places initially (57 in- and 80 out of catchment); 16 appeals were heard, of which 7 were succcessful, giving a total starting in September of 144, assuming they all turned up.

Once into the Autumn term, applications can be made via an In-year Transfer request and the school tests girls in maths, English and science, if and when a place becomes vacant (DD having pretty well come to terms with her comp. place, still wants to try again by this route if the opportunity arises!). I understand that several (?about 18) girls sat the tests for spare places in yr7 last autumn term. I was aware of one girl definitely getting a place but from the figure of 146 quoted by senmum, possibly only one other was successful.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They have chosen to increase Sixth Form numbers - why do that if they are soooo overcrowded?!

Hmmm - a point to make I think.
moved

Post by moved »

They are undersubscribed in 6th form. I wonder why? Their points requirement is lower than the other three schools.
senmum

Post by senmum »

ToadMum wrote:According to the data in the Southend (LA)Secondary Admissions boooklet that we were given last September http://www.southend.gov.uk/download/380 ... nformation, for admission in September 2011, i.e. current year 7, SHSG offered 137 places initially (57 in- and 80 out of catchment); 16 appeals were heard, of which 7 were succcessful, giving a total starting in September of 144, assuming they all turned up.

Thank you for this information - it helps me ask some interesting questions - I thought I had seen this sort of information somewhere - but probably binned the document in my last clear out!

I am also interested if in any year they have started bove their number and what if any impact that actually had