Learning steel pans (drums)

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yummiemummie

Learning steel pans (drums)

Post by Yummiemummie »

My DS1 is very keen on learning steel pans. He is nearly 14 and is working towards grade 6 on violin and 4 on classical guitar. Not sure where this has come from, but he is very keen. Does anyone have any experience?
hermanmunster

Re: Learning steel pans (drums)

Post by hermanmunster »

I would love to do that!!

Where do you live?

Only ones I know are.. http://www.yorkshireentertainment.co.uk ... thstar.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... not sure about the chap in the top photo though .. can he play? :oops:
mystery

Post by mystery »

No but it would be my dream to play in a steel band too. Always has been, and I can't tell you why.
curlyching

Post by curlyching »

At the secondary school where I teach, steel drums are really popular. A teacher comes in every week to teach small groups and they are always amazing in school concerts.

Always put me in the mood for a Piña-Colada! :D
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

My son learns the steel pans at school ( he is year 6) and absolutely loves it. Where are you based?
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

We are based in high Wycombe, bucks. It's funny Mystery cos it's a real passion for my son too. He goes to our local Music centre at the weekends for orchestra so I guess I could ask if they know of anywhere....
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

There must be a band somewhere in the area as they quite often play in Reading town centre
toucan

Post by toucan »

My DC goes to a highly regarded steel pan orchestra in Harlesden on a Saturday morning, which would take you about 40 minutes to reach on the M40. I am sure your DC would love it, but the travel would be a killer.

Some of the bands are based in churches, so you could try phoning around Reading or Oxford.

It's really important to find a group with a decent teacher and a welcoming peer group.

Good luck,
Toucan
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Thanks so much Toucan!

I have found a lead in High Wycombe, apparently they are performing at the olympic ceremony. Will report back when I have explored further.....
toucan

Post by toucan »

That's great; good luck with it. If you get in touch with the band in High Wycombe, maybe ask if they compete in the August Panorama competition; this would be a sign that they take their music seriously and are active within the steel pan community.

Any band should be extremely pleased to have an accomplished musician join up, since most pan players learn without formal musical tuition or sight reading. The songs are taught purely by ear.

Apparently, there may be a Guinness World Record attempt at this year's Panorama competition to create the largest ensemble playing together (some have suggested they play 'O Sole Mio'). We shall see.

Toucan
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now