Starting Out and Floundering - Any Advice Welcome

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Celtic Worrier

Starting Out and Floundering - Any Advice Welcome

Post by Celtic Worrier »

Hello

we started on this journey about three weeks ago, son motivated and wants to do it (some days better than others) and we started on the GL assessment how to do NVR/VR and Susan Daughtrey, he has enjoyed the GL Assessment books but in my opinion has raced through them. We do Bond NvR test papers as practice (since he has finished the GL nv how to book) I bought the IPS VR method and technique but after doing the GL Assessment how to books it isn't as much fun. We did the type k questions in the GL Assessment book yesterday and he nailed them without help and today when I showed him some in a short test he froze and said he couldn't do them.

I have bought lots of tests for him to do in approx six weeks, GL Assessment/Bright sparks/AFN/IPS but not sure
what to buy next?
I have looked at the lincolnshire section of the site for recommended materials and not sure if at the moment I should purchase the tutors/the bond how to books and or AE how to books
Any advice welcome
Many Thanks CW
LoobyLoo

Re: Starting Out and Floundering - Any Advice Welcome

Post by LoobyLoo »

Hi, I'm not sure whether your primary offers any support (ours didn't) but last year my son did Susan Daughtry with his tutor, GL practice papers at home (one a month) and some Bond practice papers when he was keen and 10 minute bond tests when he wasn't! It was awful time but we got through it! Our Son had had enough come July so we did have five weeks off completely. At the time I was distraught but in hindsight it was probably a good thing as come the exam in Sept, he was back on a roll! Good luck. Which school are you hoping for? X
Celtic Worrier

Post by Celtic Worrier »

Hello LL

son so wants to go to Kings. We are out of county so he knows that if he wants to get in he has to get a good result, he really wants this though. I keep sending off for books from Amz and I think when I posted I just couldn't see the wood for the trees if you know what I mean. Do I need more etc.. Today he was great, practise was effortless if only every day was like that. I am just starting to realise that there is a lot that perhaps I ought not to bother with, but I suppose the danger is that something we haven't covered will come up -

So pleased I have found this forum and I appreciate your reply

thanks

CW
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

we used the bond books (the 'how to' books were very useful) to start with....... followed by the IPS ones (which we found very wordy) and then did the GL assessment ones at the end as they're the most like the actual papers.

We only really got going in july last year (not advised!!) and worked pretty hard thru the summer.

You're in the right place to get the best help, I found this forum invaluable last year (especially when I got stuck on an answer myself!)

Best of Luck :D

D x
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

Good luck CelticWorrier, I'm sure you will be fine. Hello again Desperado99, hope all is well with you!

Half the battle is that the child is motivated and it sounds like your Son wants it as much as you. I too when through bouts of buying up everything that had 11+ in the title and ended up selling it all myself at a quarter of the price as we just didn't use it all!

We are out of County (Newark) and it is hard when there is no support at primary, all the other Yr 5 parents have their own opinions of secondary schooling and those that also want grammar are so secretive about what preparation they are or aren't doing (in my own experience anyway!) it can be a nightmare. I can honestly say this site saved my sanity, and is the reason I'm back on it this year to hopefully give back some of the support I received this time last year!

Anyway, Kings has no catchment so being out of County really doesn't matter and if this years results are anything to go by, scores weren't as high as they have been in previous years.

If you have any queries, ask away and there will always be someone who can offer an answer or at least suggest a glass (or two) of wine and some chocolate - believe me, you'll need it come September!!! :lol:
Celtic Worrier

Post by Celtic Worrier »

Hello again LL and D99

Good of you both to post. No help in his primary school, wouldn't even dare ask. Other half and I were really surprised when we first broached the subject with him that he was so keen. However in the meantime we have to do the slog. It isn't too painful at the moment and by and large he is doing fine, but this has made me realise how poor his vocabulary is, despite him being a good reader.

I have been alternating with the GLS verbal how to book with susan daughtrey and as I am almost finished the GLS book will go through the IPS book too, and concentrate on those areas which I think could trip him up, before I start doing the tests with him.

Did either of you get the Walsh book and if so did it help? I have been looking through the Lincs forum trying to learn what I can and I can see that you both had a bit of a journey yourselves

Non Verbal is fine at the moment, hardest thing is watching him waste time on a difficult one at the expense of an easier one and although he is only doing a section of the test paper at a time he is alternating between 9 out of 12 & 10 out of 12 in about 8-9 mins so timing and moving on to the next is his thing but lots of time to work on that, and these are the Bond test papers so they will get harder.

We are doing about 30mins 3/4 nights a week and an hour at the weekend, not sure if that is too much but as long as he is up for it we will persevere
we have decided not to tell anyone about this don't want to put anymore pressure on him - and my other half leaving me to do the study with him, typical bloke!
Any words of wisdom gratefully received - can't imagine your joy when the letter finally arrived

thanks again
CW
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hi CW. The fact that your child is very keen to succeed and is happy to do the work is, IMO, half the battle!
I'm just wondering if you'd tried going through the different question types with him? You mention watching him 'waste time' on one at the expence of others. Is this a particular question type? Can you focus on techniques for tackling that sort of question? Very good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now