any suggestion/advise how much hrs. my son DC should study

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rashminder12

any suggestion/advise how much hrs. my son DC should study

Post by rashminder12 »

hi,
Does anyone give advise that how many hrs. work any child should to get fair score in 11+ exam? As i don't want to push my Dc too much or even doesn't want him to lack behind as well. My DC is preparing for Slough Grammar school 11+ and Reading Boarding 11+. I started preparing my son in February for 11 + exam . At present he is getting about 60%-67% in NVR and VR test papers. In the beginning he was getting 40-45%. he did make improvement as he is doing practice varies of 11+ exam papers everyday and i also got explanation book for NVR and VR to make him understand the techniques.
Can any suggest what sort of material i should look for or am i doing right way to prepare my son for test. actually, i am just bit get confuse how i should plan my strategy to prepare him? :?
Any suggestions will be great.
Thanks in advance.
yummycool

Re: any suggestion/advise how much hrs. my son DC should stu

Post by yummycool »

Hi Rashminder12 I totally can relate to how you are feeling. I have a dd who will be sitting for the exams this Sept for Langley/slough consortium. I too am very unsure as to what level we should be at and your results are about the same for my dd some days worse than others - You're right when you say you don't want to push, but there are times when you feel they should be doing more (especially when you see all the forum postings!!). So its a bit like a roller coaster ride. We did a mock test at the beginning of our 11+ journey and I have another booked for mid May to see how she is doing and if there is improvement :) - I think that will hopefully will give us an idea of whether we are on the right track or not. I have used a mixed bag of books from bond, ae and past papers. Bond online is also ok but not sure if its that great - my dd got very bored with this and is very reluctant to do it anymore.

Keep posting and fingers crossed we are doing things right :)
rashminder12

Post by rashminder12 »

thanks yummycool,
Could you pls. let me know from where you book mock test for Slough consortarium exam and how much it will charge. As i was thinking to get mock test booked for him but not sure which one i should choose. did u get full report and feed back for the test result?
If i find any other information then will let you know. I am doing 11+ test papers from GL Asseessment as well.
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

sorry should have said the mocks are not for the slough consortium but are with a Sutton based one - as we are trying for Tiffin also - most of them charge around the £45-50 mark and we recieved the papers back so that we could see her weaker areas. We found it helpful as an initial tool but not that much more than an off the shelf paper - especially when administered in the right conditions.

I'm sure if you google 'mock exams' in your area - you will be amazed at how many are out there. We booked one for May when we booked the first one - not sure if its the right time - but will see.

We mainly wanted dd to know what it felt like sitting in an exam hill - she said she enjoyed it!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now