Appeal or Settle 4 the alternative, a Comprehensive School?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11+

Appeal or Settle 4 the alternative, a Comprehensive School?

Post by 11+ »

Hi Parents,

Unfortunately, we are going down the dark road of the appeal system, pinning our hopes that a appeal panel will agree that our son deserves a place at a Grammar School. He comfortably passed the 11+, but has not been allocated any grammar schools as the closest ones to us are oversubscribed. We have been allocated our local comprehensive, which on balance is an excellent school, but not a selective grammar school.

Should we have to settle for the alternative?

We are finding it so difficult not to waffle when writing our statement on why our son should go to this school. The simple facts are, our son loved the school and wants to continue his education here. None of his friends are going to this school, but yet he still wants to go to this school, as do we! If this is strong evidence that child genuinely wants to go to a particular school, We don't know what is!

Any advice, suggestions will be appreciated during this difficult time.
capers123

Re: Appeal or Settle 4 the alternative, a Comprehensive Scho

Post by capers123 »

11+ wrote:We have been allocated our local comprehensive, which on balance is an excellent school, but not a selective grammar school.

You're in a good position to be in, as the alternative is good and I suspect your sons friends are going there. Winning the appeal is not going to be the end of the world for you.

I would recommend that you do go forward with the appeal.

The strong evidence will have to be academic, but as he's passed, hopefully you'll be able to get that information from his current school (CAT/SAT scores and school reports saying that he's working above national expectations). Have a read through Etienne's Q&A's at the top of this forum - they're invaluable for people appealing.
Capers
11+

Post by 11+ »

capers123 wrote:
11+ wrote:We have been allocated our local comprehensive, which on balance is an excellent school, but not a selective grammar school.

You're in a good position to be in, as the alternative is good and I suspect your sons friends are going there. Winning the appeal is not going to be the end of the world for you.

I would recommend that you do go forward with the appeal.

The strong evidence will have to be academic, but as he's passed, hopefully you'll be able to get that information from his current school (CAT/SAT scores and school reports saying that he's working above national expectations). Have a read through Etienne's Q&A's at the top of this forum - they're invaluable for people appealing.

Hi, thanks for the reply......

The alternative is good, but not want we want!

We have a strong support letters from his headteacher and teacher, who know the comprehensive school well as they are a feeder school, stating that he deserves a place in a grammar school and would thrive in such an environment.

In regards to academics, he is upper L5 for English and Science and L6 for Maths.

I will look at the Q&A and take note.
Bizziebee

Post by Bizziebee »

Hi 11+,
We are in a very similar situation with our son who passed 11+ but out of catchment etc. for us , even if our appeal is unsuccessful next week, I think we will rest more easily than had we not gone down the appeal route. All v stressful and frustrating when, like you, our son desperately wants to go to the grammar.
Fingers crossed for you, :)
11+

Post by 11+ »

Bizziebee wrote:Hi 11+,
We are in a very similar situation with our son who passed 11+ but out of catchment etc. for us , even if our appeal is unsuccessful next week, I think we will rest more easily than had we not gone down the appeal route. All v stressful and frustrating when, like you, our son desperately wants to go to the grammar.
Fingers crossed for you, :)
Hi,

It is a nightmare situation. but I genuinely believe that we owe it to our children to give it this last shot. Wishing you all the best too.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I would appeal, but if you're in the lucky position of having a good alternative, then that's not such a bad place to be in. My youngest is at a good comprehensive and is currently in year 9.

I expect as does his school that he will perform very well in GCSEs and A A levels, and he is definitely being stretched . His current predictions exceed those his siblings who were all at grammar have achieved, so I'm happy with that, as is he to be honest. He has a nice set of friends, and as he's in top sets, they're all from there too, so he is not being singled out as geeky or clever or whatever. When we were in your shoes ( actually not really as he didn't pass), it was a really difficult time, and hard to see any positives, but the reality three years on is that he is happy and fulfilling his potential so far as is possible at the moment. That's all I was ever really concerned about.
11+

Post by 11+ »

Looking for help wrote:I would appeal, but if you're in the lucky position of having a good alternative, then that's not such a bad place to be in. My youngest is at a good comprehensive and is currently in year 9.

I expect as does his school that he will perform very well in GCSEs and A A levels, and he is definitely being stretched . His current predictions exceed those his siblings who were all at grammar have achieved, so I'm happy with that, as is he to be honest. He has a nice set of friends, and as he's in top sets, they're all from there too, so he is not being singled out as geeky or clever or whatever. When we were in your shoes ( actually not really as he didn't pass), it was a really difficult time, and hard to see any positives, but the reality three years on is that he is happy and fulfilling his potential so far as is possible at the moment. That's all I was ever really concerned about.
Hi, That is really positive... Thank you.... We know where you are coming from but our son really wants to go this school. We told him that he would have to work really hard and pass the exam.. which he did...... we are just gutted for him, that despite doing what was asked of him, he still cannot go that school.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Same for us, there is a huge disappointment for your son, ours too.

However they do get over it, our son had to deal with his siblings going there every day, and it took a remarkable effort for him and us to remember that these places are actually just schools, and what is far more important is quality family life and strong values. We have got over it, you will too. Who knows, you might be succesful on your appeal - I was just saying if not, its not the end of the world :D
11+

Post by 11+ »

Looking for help wrote:Same for us, there is a huge disappointment for your son, ours too.

However they do get over it, our son had to deal with his siblings going there every day, and it took a remarkable effort for him and us to remember that these places are actually just schools, and what is far more important is quality family life and strong values. We have got over it, you will too. Who knows, you might be succesful on your appeal - I was just saying if not, its not the end of the world :D

Thank you... I agree, you have to deal with it, it is just heart wrenching that are able son cannot go to the school of choice. Even his Headteacher and teacher feel for him and have told us that his mood has significantly dropped since knowing he has not be allocated a place at the school. We trying our level best to support him and encourage him, but we do feel for him. It is really hard!
11+

Post by 11+ »

Does anyone know how I find out how many appeals were allowed in previous years, or more importantly what the actual year 7 intake was in September. I have rang up the council and they just tell me the PAN for each of the years. When I rang the school, they again just told me the PAN numbers.

Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now