Newbie, help needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mama2

Newbie, help needed

Post by Mama2 »

Hello All
My first post on here and also very new to the life taking over drama that is 11+.
I currently live in an area that only has one Grammar school in the whole county! So you can imagine that 11+ is not a big thing here.

However, we are moving to Tonbridge in Kent due to hubby's job.

My DD will need to sit the 11+ in September but my concern is that they are super selective and she won't get in To Tonbridge Grammar anyway. So considering Weald of Kent.

Is 'Weald of Kent' Grammar Schhol super selective and does anyone know the raw score needed to get in?

She has been going to a tutor for 6 months but I'm starting to panic because I did a practice paper with her on weekend and the results were not great. She is a bright girl and has been at level 5Cs in Maths and English school school, but worry that the tutor focus is not complelty on her 11+ test. Have I got that wrong or this there still enough time?
I'm panicking panicking as you can tell.

Also, we don't move to the area until August so the likelihood of finding a tutor that close to the exam is probably very slim.

Can anyone help or advice

Many thanks
dottie1974

Re: Newbie, help needed

Post by dottie1974 »

Hi Mama2

Welcome to the forum! My dd is due to take the Kent Test this September, but we are on the other side of the county to you. I had a look at the admissions criteria for Weald of Kent and it looks like 'just' a pass is needed - there is a list of parishes that are in the catchment area on the admissions policy so it might be worth you looking at that before you move down here! The raw scores needed for a pass for the past couple of years are on a sticky message at the top of the Kent forum.

Does your DD tutor have knowledge of the Kent test - Verbal, Non-Verbal and Maths? I am doing some practice at home with my dd - we have been working through some Bond books and are tentatively looking at GL Assessment papers for a bit of familiarisiation. It might be worth chatting to the tutor to see what she is covering and do some extra at home if you think DD needs it. Level 5c is great for year 5.

I think you are right in thinking that it will be difficult, if not impossible(!), to find a decent tutor in August for a test in early September. I think if you do practice material at home there is still enough time to fully prepare your daughter.

Don't worry about her not doing well in the test at the weekend - if you look at threads from previous years on this Kent forum you will see that the 11+ is a complete rollercoaster ride with them doing fabulously well one day to really badly the next time. You need nerves of steel for this I think!!

Good luck.
Mama2

Post by Mama2 »

[quote="dottie1974"] I had a look at the admissions criteria for Weald of Kent and it looks like 'just' a pass is needed -

That's great news, less pressure.

I've spoke to another Tutor today that doesn't have spaces but does prepare children for the 11+ and she has a totally different ethos and strategy to the 11+. Obviously no spaces, so I think I'm going to buy all the books and start doing some DIY at home with her. I can get a space on this other tutors holiday courses and mock exam, so will do that way I think.
Your certainly right, it is a rollercoaster!! On top of moving, changing jobs and schools for both children....Grey by September I think

:D
mystery

Post by mystery »

You should be OK with those NC levels and some DIYing of the right sort. Loads of tips on here. Just a pass needed for Weald just as the person above said. No need to decide at the moment anyhow as you get the 11+ score before you fill in the school application form. So if your DD got top scores you could put TOGS down too.

What are you considering for your non-11 plus back-up(s)? That might affect exactly where you choose to live? You need to be you are living in the right place before you fill in the Kent CAF - have you read all the residency rules etc?
Mama2

Post by Mama2 »

mystery wrote: What are you considering for your non-11 plus back-up(s)? That might affect exactly where you choose to live? You need to be you are living in the right place before you fill in the Kent CAF - have you read all the residency rules etc?
My back up, really not sure. As we don't yet live in the area I'm finding just going off school websites is extremely difficult. With hubby and I working we only get the odd weekend to visit. We are viewing houses this weekend in Tonbridge.
We will end up living in either Tonbridge or Hildenborugh but we are not that worried if its slightly out of town.
The only school I have seen that isnt a Grammar is Hill view school for girls??? Anyone know anything about this school?

Really not sure about others as back up, so any help or advice appreciated on that front.

I know there is an academy in Sevenoaks, but again not sure on the admission criteria and the options/results etc on that school

It's going to be a stressful few months.