Name of allocated school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Charl39

Name of allocated school

Post by Charl39 »

This probably sounds like a daft question, but should I name the allocated school in the appeal letter or just refer to it as "the allocated school". Presumably the panel will know which school my DS has been allocated anyway so I can name it? Any advice welcome. Thx and good luck to all.
Charl39
missb

Re: Name of allocated school

Post by missb »

My appeals paperwork sent to me by the clerk included my offer letter naming the allocated school, also at the appeal the chair said to me to make sure I told the school (he mentioned the name) if the appeal was successful so that they could free up that space. So if that's anything to go by they will know the name of your allocated school :)
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

I just referred to it as the 'allocated school' in my appeal letter, but the evidence obviously named it and also the LEA pack included it as Missb says.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Presumably the panel will know which school my DS has been allocated anyway so I can name it?
Not necessarily. It's more likely than not with an LA panel - less likely with an own-admission authority school running its own appeals.

However, you are meant to get exactly the same papers as the appeal panel and the presenting officer a week or so before the hearing, so you will be able to see what information is included.

Even if the panel has been given no information about your allocated school, they might ask you.
Etienne
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

Thanks all. I haven't received anything so far & believe I am supposed to get 10 working days' notice of the appeals date.
Last edited by Charl39 on Wed May 30, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charl39
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I got the impression at our appeal that they didn`t know, they didn`t ask and I didn`t tell.... :shock:

Actually, I think by the time we`d got to appeal we didn`t have a school place as we`d turned the allocated school place down......don`t reccommend doing that its horribly stressful
capers123

Post by capers123 »

The schools in Gloucestershire include it on the appeal application form. So, yes, we know - it's filled in by the parents. Some times it's left blank and we do tend to ask - not so we can take it into account in the appeal, but out of concern for the child, as the implication is that they haven't accepted a school so have no place for next year (that happens more with primary appeals where naive parents assume that if they only put one school on the application form, then the county council will have to give them that school).

Appeals tend to be about why the school your appealing for is the right school for your child, not why the allocated school is the wrong school.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now