Gloucestershire 11+ - guidance on the whole process

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ducativalentino

Gloucestershire 11+ - guidance on the whole process

Post by ducativalentino »

Hi All,

I am new to this and am just trying to get my head around the whole process. When my DD takes the 11+ does that enter her for ALL Grammar schools in the area or just our nearest one (Pates Grammar). Do we have to take different exams for other Grammars (SHS etc)?

Also, I am looking into the options of a tutor for DD. At what age did others start a tutor with their children?

Thanks for your help guys. I am feeling pretty intimidated by it all at the moment.
stroudydad

Re: Gloucestershire 11+ - guidance on the whole process

Post by stroudydad »

Hi Ducati, I am by no means an expert but the simple answer is that the 11+ in glos is a common exam, though in order to be considered for schools other than the one where your Dd takes the test you must 'share' results with the other grammar schools you wish your daughter to be considered for when you register for the test. The form can be filled in online or written and is very simple. My ds1 took test last year, and dd will be this year, both haven't done any prep untill well into year 5. Hope this helps.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

welcome to the forum.

More info on Glos11+ here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
capers123

Post by capers123 »

stroudydad wrote:... you must 'share' results with the other grammar schools you wish your daughter to be considered for when you register for the test.
That (as I remember it a couple of years ago) is as simple as putting ticks in the boxes on the back of the form against the schools you want to share the score with.

The advice tends to be to tick all of the schools of the correct gender, as there's nothing to be lost by ticking them - whereas not ticking them will mean the score isn't shared. The latter can be quite galling if your child happens not to pass for the school you took the test at, as they would then have to appeal to go to one of the others even though their score may have got them in comfortably!

So: Tick Those Boxes!

Welcome. Do feel free to ask any questions you like - most of us here have been through the process and have a wide variety of experience. I suspect one member is a tutor (never advertises it as such - that's not allowed) but pops up with useful advice if you want to go down that route. Others here are teachers, parents whose children have not passed the test (or chosen not to take it) and also parents whose children have gained a place by appeal. If we can't answer the question, we'll probably know where to point you for the right advice.
Capers
Orson

Post by Orson »

For as stress-free an approach as possible, prep should start in the Oct of year 5 or you can wait until the New Year. 50-60 mins a week.

Earlier than this is not necessary. Later, and you might not find a decent tutor with spaces and you risk having insufficient time to sort all the difficulties that might arise during the prep. This can lead to stress and anxiety.

Saying that, it's also never too late to do something. There are children who've earned grammar places after one week of concentrated 'cramming'. A far from ideal approach and too much for most but it can yield positive results.

One needs to part with a reasonable sum of money all at once (£250-£400) but it's cheaper than an hour a week for 12 months (possibly IRO £1400). But what price education?

If your alternative to grammar is independent then you could be saving a six-figure sum.
One couple with four daughters estimated they saved over £700,000 for a £6,000 outlay. A worthwhile investment?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now