League Tables - which do you take seriously + interpreting?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loveyouradvice

League Tables - which do you take seriously + interpreting?

Post by loveyouradvice »

Hi

I'm feeling very confused by league tables.... which are worth looking at?

And what do you look for?

My daughter will be doing 11+ for various North/West London schools this January.

Do give links if easy!

Thanks in advance....and all comments welcome!
lara228

Re: League Tables - which do you take seriously + interpreti

Post by lara228 »

I think the Financial Times' information on Independent Schools is excellent:

http://www.ft.com/reports/independent-schools-2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But don't get too hung up on ranking - a school ranked 20th -v- a school ranked 30th are both going to be excellent schools, way above average.
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

thanks.... I was planning to go even wider - within 30 of each other much the same... but big difference between no 20 and 100.......though intriguingly some of the toughest to get into (eg Latymer Upper) dont seem to do that well....
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

loveyouradvice wrote:thanks.... I was planning to go even wider - within 30 of each other much the same... but big difference between no 20 and 100.......though intriguingly some of the toughest to get into (eg Latymer Upper) dont seem to do that well....
These rankings seem to change significantly from year to year - especially for those schools ranked above 50 e.g. Latymer Upper had a rank of 68 in 2009, and 70 in 2010 vs 102 or so in 2011.

However, I would say that league tables are not definitive in terms of either excellence, or more importantly what suits your DC.

Sutton Trust reports on University Admissions is another good report to look at.

http://www.suttontrust.com/research/deg ... al-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.suttontrust.com/research/uni ... l-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dustylaw

Post by Dustylaw »

League tables - the FT is the one with the most analysis so probably the best for looking at academic results. But please do not restrict yourself to only the top 30 or 60 or whatever. First, many schools are so close that ordinary year on year variations will make an apparently big difference in rankings but little difference in practice. Secondly, much of the time the table is telling you only that the top ranking schools are both very selective and doing well by their very selective intake. Useful information but only as part of making you better informed to decide which school suits your child better. And of course some schools are ruthless in chucking out - fair enough if the child is mucking about but very distasteful if the child is trying and making good progress for their abilities. In making your selection you should also pay a lot of attention to the outcome of the school you are interested in - is it doing well by its intake and how would that suit your child. Good luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now