Help with Appeal...anyone!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CEA100

Help with Appeal...anyone!

Post by CEA100 »

Our DS sat the 11+ in two areas, passed for our second choice but not our first choice where our DD already attends. I know we are very fortunate to have an offer of a GS place but it is 13 miles away and realistically, we are going to have to move house in order to live where both children can access a bus route. That, or will need to give up work (not very realistic!) to get them both there.

We are appealing for a place at our 1st choice but I am unclear as to whether we should set out our case for a place at this school against the GS school we have been offered, or in comparison to the middle school he attends now, as he could theoretically stay at until the end of year 8.

Whilst I am a little more clear of what type of thing we should include in the presentation on the day, with regard to the information we submit in advance, should this just be centred around evidence (of predicted SATS/teacher assessed levels etc) or should there be things in there such as our reasons for wanting him to attend this school (like his sibling goes there, logistics of getting children to school etc..)

I would be really grateful for any thoughts or comments!

Thanks!
Etienne

Re: Help with Appeal...anyone!

Post by Etienne »

I am unclear as to whether we should set out our case for a place at this school against the GS school we have been offered, or in comparison to the middle school he attends now, as he could theoretically stay at until the end of year 8.
Neither! You're not appealing against your second preference or against the middle school - you're appealing for your first preference, so that's what you should try and focus on.
Whilst I am a little more clear of what type of thing we should include in the presentation on the day, with regard to the information we submit in advance, should this just be centred around evidence (of predicted SATS/teacher assessed levels etc) or should there be things in there such as our reasons for wanting him to attend this school (like his sibling goes there, logistics of getting children to school etc..)
If he's qualified, then you don't need to provide evidence of grammar school ability. It would be superfluous.

However, if by chance places were allocated in rank order of score, then you might possibly wish to put forward a case that he was expected to score even more highly than he did, and to provide supporting evidence.

Otherwise, you should just concentrate on your reasons for wanting a place.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
CEA100

Post by CEA100 »

Thank you for the reply Etienne, I will re-focus the appeal on our preferred school.

I didn't make it clear that our appeal is based upon non-qualification, hence trying to demonstrate academic ability. No support being given from the current school though so pulling adequate stuff together is quite challenging....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, my fault for skimming through your first post too quickly!

Yes, you need to give equal weight to academic evidence and to reasons for wanting this particular school.

Typical evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Primary school not co-operating:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now