Olympic Torch

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stevew61

Olympic Torch

Post by stevew61 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchrelay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok I've spent far too much time watching this today. Now getting in the Olympic mood, looking forward to the torch visiting (Caversham) our little piece of Britain, for us it kicks off at 8 a.m. and the schools open at 9.30 so we can be down by the river Thames and join the party.

11th July,

08:04 Caversham Gardens
08:05 Caversham Gardens gate
08:05 Church Road (A4074)
08:07 Bridge Street (A4155)
08:08 Promenade Road
08:09 Riverbank footpath.................me and kids :) Fancy dress or flags?

I can see torch watching being a major activity for the next ten weeks. :shock:

Anybody else looking forward to a torch visit?
DC17C

Re: Olympic Torch

Post by DC17C »

It arrives in Gloucester Docks on Thursday 24th May so I am taking DD and DS to see it. I work very close to the start of the route but I cannot see much work happening until it passes through.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

It doesn't reach us until the 6th July. I didn't think I would be interested in watching the torch go by but I found it quite moving watching it this morning on the television. I am going to make the effort to see it now.

It has got me in the Olympic mood too Steve.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DS1 can't go to school until 1115 on Thursday because all the roads round the school are closed for the thing. DS2 can't go to after school cricket on Wednesday because all the roads round his school are closed too. DD has a GCSE exam on Thursday morning and it seems we need to camp at her school lest the omnipresent torch is loitering there too.

Perhaps I ought to look at it on TV to see if it stirs the requisite emotions in me too, given that similar cynics appear to have been converted; because at the moment it looks like one big heap of hype and hassle. And a sop to those of us too far away to consider shelling out several hundred pounds to get tickets and accommodation to watch any actual sport...let's get you in the spending mood this way instead.

OK that's cynical even for me. Sorry. :oops:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber - reckon I can join in there!!! It is arriving on a Sunday here - will no doubt be late as it towards the end of the section however the roads will be closed all day, those of us working will be struggling to get through and have huge diversions to get to patients.. actually thinking about it it will probably rain!!!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD has broken up for the summer by the (OMG) so unless it clashes with piano exam we will be hanging around somewhere near Cemetery Junction to watch it go by.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Amber wrote:OK that's cynical even for me. Sorry. :oops:
Try upping the medication, double vino? :)
hermanmunster wrote:.. actually thinking about it it will probably rain!!!
Don't you dare let your Yorkshire rain spoil the parade, you know if the torch goes out they have to go back to square one. :lol:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

stevew61 wrote:Don't you dare let your Yorkshire rain spoil the parade, you know if the torch goes out they have to go back to square one. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I think it was the tradition of it that got to me. :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Count me in Steve :D The torch will be a mere 3 miles away from my house , carried by my brother's friend and to cap it all it's the same day as my birthday ! I shall be the one wearing a patriotic tutu singing Land Of Hope And Glory. Did I spot Jack Sparrow in the crowd , by the way ? :shock:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I would love to see the tutu! :lol: It's great that you know one of the torch bearers.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now