Wilmington Grammar school for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Wilmington Grammar school for Girls

Post by Guest »

Does anyone have older siblings that go to Wilmington girls grammar school. If so how do they like it. My daughter will be going there and sadly found it less favourable than TOGS. She only missed this school by a few marks. I think the lack of facilities put her off a bit. Do they have hockey and netball teams that compete against other schools?

Grateful for any information that will make my daughter a little more enthusiastic!

concernedmum
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Hi Guest,

I cannot speak from the experience of having children at the school, only from having visited it and having friends that have girls there currently.

From visiting it I have to say that it had the best 'family' feel of all the schools I went to. My daughter and my goddaughter thoroughly enjoyed their visit to the school and came away feeling "if only" the facilities were better they would definately put it first. I have since learned that they are going to have a refurbishment. Two friends have daughters there and they love it. They are challenged and are maturing into great responsible young ladies. The homework is moderately tough and they are expected to complete their homework to a high standard. Both friends say the teachers are approachable and despite the usual schoolgirl "he's a dork2 type comments about teachers. They both respect their teachers.

We had Wilmington down on our CAF and I would have been very happy to get the school. My other friend has just been successful in her appeal for a place for her daughter.

I hope your child will be happy there.

TM

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the insight Tm much appreciated!

Post by Guest »

Hi
My daughter joined the The Grammar School for Girls Wilmington in September of last year after spending the last few years at her Junior school miserable with bullying etc.
I have seen a total transformation in her since she started the school , her confidence has grown enormously as has her circle of friends.
She is a member of the netball team who meet up every week and has played a number of matches against other local schools.
At the time of selecting a school for my daughter, I too was concerned that Wilmington appeared quite run down and maybe couldn't offer the facilities that other schools could but my daughter insisted that this was the the one that she wanted to go to.
She is now thriving in her studies and I know this is down to the positive impact the school has made on her.
I hope you daughter is as happy at Wilmington!

Post by Guest »

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your last post. Have shown it to my daughter and it has put a smile on her face. I think she is coming round to the idea that she migtht even like Wilmington!!
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Forgot to add that we have a number of girls (and Boys to the Boys school) from my daughter's year going there! They are all the 'nice' girls in the year too.
relieved mom

Wilmington Grammar for Girls

Post by relieved mom »

My daughter did not get into Tonbridge and we therefore reluctantly accepted the place at Wilmington, after hearing that all of the children that we knew of who went there were very happy but were still hoping that a place would come up at Tonbridge. We went back to visit Wilmington on a working school day. This time we viewed it with our eyes open rather than being negative about the state of the buildings. We were very surprised. the children in class were very well behaved and our biggest surprise was that the sixth formers and teachers that we spoke to all liked the old buildings and desk etc. Having a school bus also eliminated the worry of public transport. So after looking at the school positively, we are now more that happy that our daughter is going to the school. She is also very sporty.