Schemes of work

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Waiting_For_Godot

Schemes of work

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Not sure where to post this.

I want to make a timetable or scheme of work in all the subjects DS will be learning at home so I can work out how much work we need to do each day/week to get to a certain level by a certain point. Can anyone advise on how I would go about doing this. Some subjects will be relatively easy to work out - maths and science - but I think I'll struggle with English and other subjects.
mystery

Re: Schemes of work

Post by mystery »

Maybe try asking under the various subject forums on TES? Also, your home ed adviser at your LA might be helpful (also might not be)?

Certainly at KS1 and KS2 there used to be units and timings available on the web which would give you a starting point. Not sure if this was done for KS3 or not. Maybe you could just start with GCSE materials and see what happens?
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

WFG you might like to consider the proportion of time a child spends on each subject at school as a starting point eg 5 English and Maths lessons but two Physics, IT etc or you may want to move completely away from this?!
Waiting_For_Godot

I'm not intending to get in touch with the LEA or inform them I'm home eding. It's more hassle than its worth! :wink:

I've found a GCSE maths scheme of work for 1/2/3 years but I've not come across it for anything else yet. I just need to know the syllabus and how to break it up really. :?
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Sorry, I must have skim read it. :(
Do the exam board websites not have the syllabi?
Amber

Post by Amber »

ourmaminhavana wrote:WFG you might like to consider the proportion of time a child spends on each subject at school as a starting point eg 5 English and Maths lessons but two Physics, IT etc or you may want to move completely away from this?!
This will be based on 'core' subjects which are disproportionately weighted in English schools, with Maths, English and science squeezing others out. If I were home educating again, I would ensure I did exactly the opposite. In fact, why timetable it at all? Use the time creatively ...you could do a whole week of Art for example, visiting galleries and trying different media; and have a Chemistry week of blowing things up and mixing and fizzing; a Sport week based on the forthcoming event, which would lead into geography and history....surely the best thing about leaving school behind is to leave the constraints behind too?
Waiting_For_Godot

Amber wrote:
ourmaminhavana wrote:WFG you might like to consider the proportion of time a child spends on each subject at school as a starting point eg 5 English and Maths lessons but two Physics, IT etc or you may want to move completely away from this?!
This will be based on 'core' subjects which are disproportionately weighted in English schools, with Maths, English and science squeezing others out. If I were home educating again, I would ensure I did exactly the opposite. In fact, why timetable it at all? Use the time creatively ...you could do a whole week of Art for example, visiting galleries and trying different media; and have a Chemistry week of blowing things up and mixing and fizzing; a Sport week based on the forthcoming event, which would lead into geography and history....surely the best thing about leaving school behind is to leave the constraints behind too?
If I'd started a couple of years ago then I would have done all of the above but the current plan is to put him back in a very selective school in two years time.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Oh. :oops:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting_For_Godot

I was directed to this site today and it's absolutely perfect especially as I'm a moron!

Middleschoolchemistry.com

This is the type of thing I'm looking for but cannot find any other sites that are as good. Computer sites I want to use as a 10-15 min add on rather than a lesson.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now