CE pass mark & girls' boarding schools?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cranleigh

CE pass mark & girls' boarding schools?

Post by Cranleigh »

I see that some boarding schools have lower pass marks than I thought. 60% for Wycombe Abbey I believe etc?

Also I see that people sometimes think CE is always for 13 plus not 11 plus?

Which are the easier ones to get into & which do people suggest for a child that would thrive in an academically selective school but not necessarily a super selective? Thanks
Last edited by Cranleigh on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Re: CE pass mark & girls' boarding schools?

Post by hermanmunster »

I think you'll have to ask the schools what CE they require and that might give you an indication of what how difficult it is to get in.

I am not sure that there are any super selective girls boarding schools around - there are quite a few academically selective - mainly taking kids who would pass the 11 plus (except that the exams can't really be compared).

There are some that are very easy to get in and keen to fill spaces, particularly with boarders. Some now have large percentages of their boarders from overseas.
Most will interview as well as have an exam
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

I have had a conversation but it seems admissions are very geared up to admit those coming via prep school. Reading between between the lines if not at a prep good idea to take school's papers which follow NC - many don't release past papers so hard to prepare for. I feel like I will be shooting in the dark. I have had advice but beyond buying old copies of CE not sure what we will do.

I get the feeling more may ride on the interview as it's boarding & entry for London day schools is more competitive. Thanks for reply. I've taken advice & got an idea on schools to short list but exam/admissions system all seems a bit unclear even after speaking to the friendly admissions depts of schools we like. Key is probably to ask at a visit.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think you are right about the interview - much will depend on if they like the girl and the girl likes them - if the teachers and you can see her thriving there. They can't expect everyone to be coming from prep schools these days - just doesn't happen. My DD was at a private primary - girls only - 3 went to board at quite an academic school a couple went elsewhere to somewhere where they could board at some stage.

I suspect most of these girls could have passed an 11 plus but they never tried so we don't know - they probably weren't as high up the class as DD who went to a GS.

The school prepared them with story writing / comprehension / reasoning / maths practice etc etc - think it was generally quite broad as they were covering a range of schools.
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Thanks.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Hi cranleigh, there's a lot more to entry for schools like Wycombe abbey. I can pm you if you're interested. CE is the easiest hoop to jump through after a rigorous assessment procedure. Much tougher than straight 11 plus as impossible to prepare for the schools assessment, they seem to know what they are looking for. CE pass mark set at 60 % so girls don't stress too much, in reality girls score way above this.
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Appreciate a PM - thanks so much.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now