Question re. school expansion

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Question re. school expansion

Post by mystery »

Sorry it's not really an appeals question, but I put it on here as Etienne and others in the forum are always so helpful and well-informed about matters related to the admissions code etc.

A voluntary aided primary school I am in some way connected with is expanding. They have in recent years increased their admissions numbers in reception, and also taken in- year admissions higher up the school.

They are now planning to increase the number of classrooms; however there is a "managing the bulge" period during which they will not have sufficient classrooms (or any other rooms to "over flow" into). One class could be as big as 35 in one classroom and it's not clear whether there is a classroom big enough, and another class could be around the 40 mark during the same period, again with it being unclear whether there is a classroom big enough.

What are their duties in the way of consulting with parents about the expansion itself, and more critically the "managing the bulge" period.
ourmaminhavana

Re: Question re. school expansion

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Morning Mystery,
I'm not sure of the answer, but I do know that the school with which I am involved have had classes of 35, 36 and we don't consult with the parents at all! This may be as there's no alternative so we don't have any options over which to consult. :lol: DS did absolutely fine, despite this. :)
Perhaps it'll be different where you are as your school is undergoing an expansion programme? Good luck and stop worrying! :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks for the reassurance OMIH. The problem is the classrooms are very small and there are not any other spare spaces (apart from one short corridor and the toilets!!). I'm not even sure whether 30 children would fit in some of the current classrooms, let alone 35 or 40. I'm going to have to go in with my tape measure I think!! Any answers I do ever get from the head or the chair on the expansion plans all conflict with one another, and they even contradict themselves over time so it's all a bit senseless. All I really want to know is if the bums will fit on the seats!!

Did you have a teaching assistant with the bigger classes? Full-time or part-time? I don't think we will get much if any T-A time as there is very little now; the funding seems to go on smaller than average classes in reception and KS1. According to the school stats there's a very high proportion of children across the school on school action, school action plus, and statements.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Yes, we have a full time or maybe .8 TA in each of the Key Stage 2 classes ie the bigger ones. We also have the odd 1-1 for those children who need it. They can't change the physical space available, or rather not available, but they can provide the teaching assistance.I'm sure they wouldn't have that many children without providing a TA.:D
I'd love to see you creeping round measuring the classrooms! :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

I need to borrow one of those things estate agents have to quickly measure rooms ........... should I put the video of me sneakily measuring on You Tube? I'm not sure that it would be compelling watching though. The games of musical chairs the children will have to have all day every day might be marginally more amusing!!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

mystery wrote:I need to borrow one of those things estate agents have to quickly measure rooms ........... should I put the video of me sneakily measuring on You Tube? I'm not sure that it would be compelling watching though. The games of musical chairs the children will have to have all day every day might be marginally more amusing!!

There's probably a measuring app on your phone mystery!

I somtimes wonder how they managed in the early/mid seventies when I was at primary school with 42 in the class and no TAs. The classrooms must have been bigger than the ones at DCs' primary school where 30 seems to be a squash. Hope your classrooms are bigger than ours. I thought primary schools had a limit of 30 per class?
scary mum
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well that's right ......... but if they really won't fit they really won't fit!! And if I can't get an answer about whether a classroom will be big enough, I'm even less likely to get an answer about which teacher it is. In my experience they leave about half way through the year about 33% of the time anyway!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

scary mum wrote:I thought primary schools had a limit of 30 per class?
If it's in the infants, yes - although you could have 31 or more children in the room with two teachers ........ assuming the room is big enough!
Etienne
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hi Etienne, would you happen to know the answer please to my OP?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now