Managing- or not managing- revision

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

Managing- or not managing- revision

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I just have to share the following surreal moment which happened this morning as I drove DS, Year 8, to the school bus on the morning of his first exams (History and DT with revision periods in between). I suggested (sorry, Amber :oops: ) that he might put his ipod away and do a little revision. He finished his game and duly took out a book from a very empty looking rucksack.
He began testing himself out loud and I listened expecting to hear facts about the civil war etc. Instead he reeled off a series of names of rivers and acronyms for countries, their relative positions on a world map etc. Eventually I could bear it no longer and inquired gently whether it might be more useful to revise History or DT. I've only brought my Geography book was the reply!! This despite the fact we had his revision timetable out last night and the last thing I did was give him his History book!! When I asked whether this was an accident or deliberate he refused to be drawn. Goodness knows how I'll survive his GCSEs!! :lol:
Good luck to anyone else whose DCs have exams coming up. :D
PS It's a tad early for a glass of chardonnay so I may have to hit the chocolate.
DenDe

Re: Managing- or not managing- revision

Post by DenDe »

I'm so sorry, but I laughed at your post. I could just imagine your face as he reeled off his Geography just before his History exam. :lol: Not very sympathetic am I?

Aren't kids just great? They never fail to surprise us do they?

I'm guessing your DS enjoys Geog more than Hist, only because that's exactly what my DS does - spends hours on those subjects he enjoys at the expense of those he doesn't.

I hope your DS does really well in today's exams. At least you know he'll breeze through Geography :D
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

DenDe, rest assured laughter was the reaction I was expecting!I just couldn't believe it. :lol:
No, my son really likes them both. I'm hoping it's because he knows his History inside out already and that it's not his usual forgetfulness! :D
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

OMG Belinda, how do you cope?!!!! :D

It was almost 6pm yesterday and DS had had a fantastic day putting up tents with his little sister, listening to his music and barbecuing (his revision notes probably) when I finally cracked and muttered the revision word. :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: I'm impressed that he was revising for geography ahead of time. The only time I revised ahead of time for geography was the night before my O level. After a few minutes I decided it was too late. Fortunately the whole paper could be done on a bit of commonsense and some general knowledge.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The hot weather has certainly affected DDs revision schedule! Oh well, only a couple of GCSEs this week and then none until after half term. It will be raining again by then :(
scary mum
daughter

Post by daughter »

DD has her last AS on Friday and has gone for the day (about 14 hours of it) to Alton Towers today! Decided that a day off may help her to re-focus afterwards - I suppose we will know wehther or not that was a good plan on August 16th!
andyb

Post by andyb »

Revision is a dirty word in our household! I got so fed up with the complete lack of application that I drew up a chart broken down into 20 minute blocks per subject that he could shade in when he had done 20 minutes - I thought that would be a compromise between completely ad-hoc revision (ie non at all) and a rigid timetable. So far only about 6 blocks are shaded and the exams start the first day back after half term :evil:. Part of me is hoping for a wet half term so that he has no option but to be inside for at least part of the day. I am dreading the results because I know from previous years how upset he gets if he does badly - but he still won't revise - perhaps it's like childbirth and he immediately forgets how disappointed he was :roll:.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now