Written Task

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pudge

Written Task

Post by pudge »

Can anyone tell me about the written task? I am aware that it is only looked at in appeal but what are they generally required to write about and how long do they have? Does anyone have any tips as to how to prepare for that? Thanks for any help!
Twinkle

Re: Written Task

Post by Twinkle »

I have put two of my children through the Kent Test so far..... We did no preparation at all for the written test. I took the view that writing skills are taught as part of the National Curriculum in the class room and that should be sufficient. Neither of my children seemed remotely bothered by the writing test probably because they do so much at school.
Biddendenmum

Re: Written Task

Post by Biddendenmum »

In my view, whatever level your child is working at keep up strongly with spellings, structure and punctuation (all so easy for teachers to ignore/miss spelling and punctuation errors in their school books and unwittingly limit developement) and work with "wow" words - what they mean, appropriate use and how to spell. If not already covered at school do they know how to write a letter and the sign off if using Dear Sir vs. Dear Mr.Name ... If they don't have a great structure for start, middle and ending to pieces introduce this strongly - if they don't have focus (rambling stories) but fab ideas - introduce mind maps perhaps for focus (not needed for our first but second & third really benefitted). Best of all, practice with a hobby, character, pop star, tv show they love so they want to do it and enjoy it (one of mine wrote and posted a letter to the queen so getting a reply from Buckingham Palace was motivating / "well cool"! As all of this will support their daily performance, if the written piece is needed chances are their books from year 5 would be viewed so you'll be strengthening their daily performance gradually too - bit more back up!