Aylesbury Grammer school boys catchment rule

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
confidentdad

Aylesbury Grammer school boys catchment rule

Post by confidentdad »

Hi,

I am new this forum. I lives in Luton and can some body suggest me if there any catchment restriction for AGS Boys and Sir henry floyd grammar school.

Thanks
confidentdad
yoyo123

Re: Aylesbury Grammer school boys catchment rule

Post by yoyo123 »

Have you looked on the school website?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Catchment checker maps can be found on Bucks County Council's website. Luton is clearly way out of catchment but there are occasional posters whose children have secured places at Aylesbury's grammar schools. However, I would strongly advise checking routes to school if you don't intend to move closer. I think the people from Luton with children joining Aylesbury grammar schools this September have realised that public transport is so impractical as to be unusable. Even travelling by car, one is looking at one hour to 90 minutes each way and it isn't predictable either. The cost is also prohibitive. In petrol alone it will cost about £75 a week.
andyb

Post by andyb »

roo007

Post by roo007 »

Hi Confidentdad,

As you live well outside the allocation area for both AGS & SHF you should not assume that you will be allocated either even if your DS achieves a qualifying 11+ score.Given that you live in Luton you will probably only be allocated either school if they are 'All offered' the year you want a place.SHF was 'All offered' this year but AGS was last year.It is different every year.

Given that AGS have changed their admission policy for 2013 admission to give priority to boys with sisters attending at the next door AHS at the time of admision,I'd suspect that alot of the places may be allocated in this category if future.So unless you are in this category the distance may not go out as much for AGS as in previous years.

As regards transport from Luton to Aylesbury there is little option other than private car or public buses.To get from Luton to Aylesbury for the start of school in the morning on public bus would mean a very early start.By car though I'd disagree with Anotherdad's estimate.Depends on what part of Luton you live but the journey time is more like 45mins to 1 hour.We know this as we've been doing this journey for the last 5 years.Also there is a public bus back after school but that takes around 1.5 hours to Luton.

Anyway good luck whatever you decide to do 8)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now