NHS v Private dilemma -Sorry it's a long rant!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mm23292

NHS v Private dilemma -Sorry it's a long rant!

Post by mm23292 »

DH moved company just over a year ago, and during the transition, he overlooked the fact that the healthcare part of his package, included only him. As sod's law would have it, all our problems therein began. Started off with me and a heart problem that proved difficult to diagnose, and after a week of unbelievable frustrating inertia in my local hospital, I discharged myself and went private. That was resolved, i then became pregnant a few months back, and found myself having to pay for a private scan, in order to date the pregnancy before the NHS would even book me in for the 12 week scan :x .Following weeks of health troubles which my midwife summarily dismissed as being part of the joys of pregnancy (heart rate in the 30's and blood pressures of 70/30 on the numerous occasions I lost consciousness)..at 15 weeks the baby lost his heartbeat and I went to the hosital to be told they couldn't fit me in for the miscarriage treatment for over a week! So yet again I went private, and having developed complications while there, I was in for 5 days, and I came home last week 6k poorer. To cap it all off, my 2 yr old daughter, has severe obstructive sleep apnea and an increasingly prominent Harrison's sulcus which almost meets her spine when she is struggling for breath at night. We have endured this for a year, and despite being hospitalised in February with pneumonia, where a consultant doing the rounds noted her condition and asked for her to be referred for follow up once we left...we are still waiting on that referral. I have been back and forth between my GP and the hospital, and having been fobbed off for months, I was breezily told yesterday, that she is not forgotten, she is still in the system, there just aren't any appointments yet available!!! This is depite a letter from the hospital doctor to my GP, detailing the 'respiratory distress' and it's obvious clinical manifestations, and this letter was posted three months ago. I am at my wits end as to what to do. We have spent so much money in the private system, and it irks me so much that it seems we have to do this to get somewhere. I was told that paediatric care was a priority within the NHS, but it seems this is not the case. When I think of all the tax we pay it makes me angry. We don't use state schools...our local comp is full of yobs..and the one time we try to tap into the system for some tiny payback..it just isn't there. What is going on in this country?! Perhaps we should have differing levels of contribution..with the option to opt out on things like healthcare and education. Why should we middle income earners have to pay for sub-standard services we simply can't use with the seemingly apathetic attitude that we can always go elsewhere? My GP has suggested that we do this if we want quicker action..because she knows we have done this before, and presumably have a money tree growing in our garden :?: I agree that emergency care should be nationally funded, but beyond that premise of care, the system is shambolic. Ok, that's it for today, rant over :)
zorro

Re: NHS v Private dilemma -Sorry it's a long rant!

Post by zorro »

You poor thing!
I have been in this situation too but thankfully with insurance.The NHS is great for emergency care but it all goes downhill after that .
I do hope you get your daughter's problems sorted out - just be persistent and keep nagging - or threaten to take it to the papers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sometimes you have to go though A and E at a hospital that you trust to get things kick-started. Do you have a good children's hospital near you? Is it worth a journey to Great Ormond Street? Some GPs are better than others at making things happen; yours doesn't sound very proactive.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

I would say the same - go to A&E and things will get sorted out way more quickly. Sounds an awful time for you - hope things work out.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

How awful for you. No wonder you have had a rant. I agree that your doctor perhaps isn't great at getting things moving. I feel sure once your daughter is under the care of a good Consultant she will be well looked after. Our son was born with a congenital heart defect and we couldn't have asked for better care over the years. I also agree that it might be a good idea to see another GP or take your daughter to A and E and make it clear how serious your daughter's condition is. It must be terribly stressful for you, your DH and your daughter. Best wishes to you all.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Yes I did think of that, but we relied on the vain hope that a letter was on its way...
Anyway, re-visited the GP this evening, and the upshot was a piece of paper with a password that enables me to book the appointment myself! So I've rung the number, and we are back to day 1 four months ago. She is now in the system with an appointment booked for a months time. So at least its a start! But I can't help wondering why I didn't get this in the first place?? Seems so disjointed and disorganised, and such a waste of time..for me, the numerous secretaries I've spoken to, and everyone else :roll:
Let's hope the operation to treat it, doesn't end up on the conveyor belt to nowhere either..or are those NHS constitution targets just a wishful thinking myth :?
Anyway, thanks for the replies..and thanks again to you too Scarlett, appreciate all your comments :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That's brilliant news....must be your long rant ! I'm sure now she's in the system all will run smoothly. I've a feeling the consultant you see will probably be horrified it's all been left for so long :(
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I have a friend in Wales whose daughter has significant health problems but keeps being "lost" in the system - turning up for appointments only to be told they were never booked, that kind of thing! She also can't get health insurance to go on holiday because the daughter's condition has not yet been fully diagnosed. Which of course it might be if she could actually see someone about it. It must be horrible to be caught in a vicious circle like this - hope you see an end to your troubles soon. x
Marylou
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Sometimes hte NHS seems hit and miss. My sister had breast cancer before Christmas and had superb treatment. ie saw a consultant within a week and then had a lumphectomy three weeks after. She hasn't had to wait for chemo or radiotherapy afterwards either.

However, my husband had a appointment with a cardiac doctor at 10am and we didn't get to see him until nearly two hours later. They see patients everyday, so must know in reality how long it will take. The doctor had obviously not read his notes either.

Your situation seems a nightmare, withe no communication between departments and doctors.

I think the NHS is great, but can be improved. I'd rather an NHS sytem, then in America where the costs prohibit people from going to see the GP.

I hope you are all well.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Recent experience with DS2 at local A&E was laughable.