starting at SGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
victoria123

starting at SGS

Post by victoria123 »

My DS is starting at Sutton Grammar this September. As he is the only one from his school to try and get a place at SGS we don't know anyone. I would like to hear from parents or pupils at SGS some words of reassurance so I can pass them on to him as he is really worried :oops:
999 mum

Re: starting at SGS

Post by 999 mum »

victoria123 wrote:My DS is starting at Sutton Grammar this September. As he is the only one from his school to try and get a place at SGS we don't know anyone. I would like to hear from parents or pupils at SGS some words of reassurance so I can pass them on to him as he is really worried :oops:
My DS is having a great time there - he is in year 7. Homework is given when appropriate rather than to a time timetable (so far not much). There are lots of clubs at lunchtimes and after school. There are many football teams so that they can cater for the different levels of the boys rather than just one for the best players. The pastoral care is very good.

There is the open day in July where he will meet his class mates, my DS signed up for the 3 days of sports towards the end of the holidays (you can choose how many to attend) and last year the year sevens had an afternoon at school by themselves.
SGSMumof2

Post by SGSMumof2 »

Hello Victoria your son need not worry. My DS started last September and has had the most fantastic year making lots of new friends in year 7 and above! The boys are so friendly. He did know one boy from his school when he joined and does meet up with him - but he has made lots of friends in addition to him due to sport, trains/ bus journeys, inter-house competitions etc. Once he had no cash on his parent pay (my fault!) and was going to go without food that day - but a year 10 boy he'd made friends with on the train went out and bought him lunch! I do think they get given buddies too when they first arrive - many who join the school know no-body on the first day but that very quickly changes. There's also an ice breaker day for them in July - make sure your son attends and that you put your details on the contact list for the whole year (which is circulated in September). Good luck to your son - I'm sure he will settle in well.
scenebutnotherd

Post by scenebutnotherd »

Victoria, you are not alone. Our DS is starting at SGS too...and although there are a couple of boys from his primary school further up the school he doesn't know them..... I think the children have more strength of character than we credit them with....
victoria123

Post by victoria123 »

thank you so much for your messages, it is good to know from other parents who are in similar situation. Hopefully I shall see some of you in the near future
WorryQueen

Post by WorryQueen »

Hi Victoria

I wouldn't worry too much. My son has been at Sutton Grammar for a few years now. Most boys who attend the school do not know anyone or maybe only know a couple of people. Its a very friendly school and they soon make friends. It helps that they keep the same boys in the same class for all of their lessons for the first year. Once they get to year 8 they mix the classes up a bit but by that time they are much more confident.
victoria123

Post by victoria123 »

that is really reassuring , thanks for your kind message :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now