pre-test for NHGS and Crossley Heath

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
annie321

pre-test for NHGS and Crossley Heath

Post by annie321 »

I know that the pre-test which takes place at NHGS is not happening this year because of the change to the test date, but does anybody know of any alternative mock tests which are aimed at children taking the Calderdale exam? Thanks!

Genuine recommendations by PM only (private message) are acceptable - but beware of the possibility that someone who appears to be offering a recommendation may have a vested interest! Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'. (It's easy to report a possible problem: just click on the 'report button' - the red exclamation mark.)

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with caution. However, there are many long standing members (check the date of joining and number of posts) who make a valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering seriously (while still exercising a degree of caution).

If you receive a recommendation from anyone else, please exercise extreme caution!

Note also:
Mocks can be found by following this link.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... mock-exams

Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/directory

Institutional Course details can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... us-courses

Intensive Holiday Courses can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... ve-courses

Kind regards,

ForumAdmin
panicmum

Re: pre-test for NHGS and Crossley Heath

Post by panicmum »

Hi annie321, my dd will be doing this mock Sunday 16th September at Northbridge Leisure Centre Halifax, they do both VR and Math Hope this help's.
I did hear they will be a mock at the Shay in Halifax in July :D
fifi

Post by fifi »

I've tried googling for more information on this but can't find any. If anyone knows anymore please can you inbox me? I've been looking through the Courier as well but haven't seen anything. Where did you find out about it? DD's school haven't been very helpful....
annie321

Post by annie321 »

Hi fifi,
I'll send you the website address in a private message. The site has all the information you're looking for!
fifi

Post by fifi »

Many thanks for the help there :D

On a similar note, does anyone know more about the writing element of the test? I have the rather vague official information that it will be a 30 minute test in continuous writing in English, but it's a long time since I took the test and wondered if anyone else knew more? Do they get given a title/subject in the exam? Is it normally a creative writing or write a letter/diary entry/newspaper article?

DD has always enjoyed her maths, and her VR is coming on quite well, but her spelling at times is shocking, so would like to try to prepare her in any way we can.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I have the rather vague official information that it will be a 30 minute test in continuous writing in English
My children both had creative writing tasks but I expect that it is similar to KS2 sats and anything could come up. I didn't do any preparation for the writing task as the marks available for Maths and VR are much higher than those available for the writing component.
fifi

Post by fifi »

Thanks mitasol, I thought you might know the answer, will not panic about it then :)
Although I think her spelling is awful, her teacher seems happy that she'll achieve level 5 in Sats so it musn't be bad in comparison. Which is a bit scary TBH :shock:
We've been making up stories in the car to try to get her thinking, and perhaps nearer the time I'll get her to write one out so she gets used to the time allowed. Just thought it was odd that none of the mock exams seem to include the writing element. However it's probably just because I'm aware that this isn't her strong point.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now