Sports scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aparna123

Sports scholarships

Post by aparna123 »

Hi all,

Can any one guide me with which are the top independent schools in london offering SPORTS SCHOLARSHIPS. My son plays cricket right now with the club....
hermanmunster

Re: SPORTS SCHOLARSHIPS

Post by hermanmunster »

Great game cricket!!!

Trouble is that to get a decent sports scholarship you tend to have to be doing extremely well in a sport.

Suspect it might not be so competitive in rarer sports but cricket is very popular and there are great numbers of lads playing for clubs, districts and counties.

Most scholarships are for relatively small amounts of money off the fees (10%0 - have just looked at some of the London schools (St Paul's, Highgate ) - and they only offer academic / music scholarships However City of London offer team sports scholarships so they might be worth looking at.

PS - here is a handy thread on the subject http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 31&t=19052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aparna123

Post by aparna123 »

Hey thanks...i saw the link ..but do u have any experience or feedback on Eltham college ?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sevenoaks School have their criteria on their website, I know it's not a London school, but it may be worth having a look.
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

Hi Aparna123

Cricket at club level will not be enough to get a scholarship on its on. In addition you need another sport. I talk from experience. We were offered an all rounder scholarship and sports was part of it. DS plays cricket at club level, on a competitive swimming program with a top swim school as well as football and athletics for school. The % they usually offer is really a token so not a huge saving compared to the fees!

Good luck with the process - my DS loved the music auditions and sports assessments.
MangoMum
estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi there

My DS is at Whitgift ( very accessible on direct train line from Victoria/Clapham Junction) where the sports facilities are really excellent & they offer good scholarships for the right boys( up to 50% of the fees). The boys do a general fitness test and need to demonstrate ability in a couple of sports but they are mainly looking for potential. They offer a very wide range of sports and the coaching is amazing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now