Is this a good advice?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
elevenplusprep

Is this a good advice?

Post by elevenplusprep »

Hi,

I have gone through many threads of this forum and i am bit confused whether telling a child that once he/she had found the correct answer he/she is sure of , stop looking at other values provided in questions to save time?

Any advice on this advice?

Thanks
yoyo123

Re: Is this a good advice?

Post by yoyo123 »

not quite sure what you mean, can you be more specific?

Is this for multiple choice tests? Certainly in some types of question it is helpful to use the multiple choice answer sheet to help you
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

It depends to some extent on the type of question. I generally tell mine not to waste time looking at the other answers if they are sure they have found the right one, and only to look at the others to eliminate them if they are not sure they've got the right answer. The problem is that sometimes they only think they have the right answer but this only becomes clear once they look at the other answers.

For example, the compound words (Type Q) can cause problems here as the child will often immediately pick out something like BARK KING without checking that they've got the right pair. It's a good idea to write the two selected words out together before committing to the answer, as if this is done it is immediately apparent that the word isn't BARKING. However, if the word is OK then they can move on.

In codes and maths-type questions, there really isn't any point in looking at the other answers once you've got it. If the child has a tendency to make "silly" mistakes on this type it's still a good idea to check them at the end if there is time. In Type Zs, if the question says there is only one true statement then no point wasting time on the others once you've found it!

Just based on what I've found from experience. Different questions need different approaches, and the strengths and weaknesses of the individual taking the test can also dictate how the question is approached.
Marylou
elevenplusprep

Post by elevenplusprep »

Thanks Marylou

Just another query

Is it advisable to directly go for multiple choice answer sheet in case of Q type questions without going through question on question paper?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now