Sale pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

traffordite

Sale pass mark

Post by traffordite »

Can anyone explain how Sale come up with a pass mark of 353? What is this out of?
They say on their website that they do standard GL assessment papers in VR, NVR and Maths.
I bought a set of the GL mock test practise papers and their marks are 80 for the VR test, 72 for the NVR test and 50 for the Maths test, making 202 in total.
How can I come up with a pass mark for the mock test which would enable me to compare with the real test for Sale?
Thanks
TraffordMum

Re: Sale pass mark

Post by TraffordMum »

Unfortunately, you can't.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation

This link explains how it works generally. Specifically for Sale each of the 3 papers count for a third of the marks. Each paper's raw score is standardised to give a mark out of 141, so the maximum mark you can get is 423 (i.e. 3 x 141). In order to get a pass mark of 353 this means that on average you need to be aiming for 118/119 in each paper. However, what that standardised score equates to in terms of raw scores is anyone's guess. As a rule of thumb I would say that if you are getting over 80% in the GL papers then you are in the right area, although the higher the better for comfort. Plus, you don't need to get 118 in each paper. A lower score can be offset by 2 higher scores in the other two papers.
traffordite

Post by traffordite »

Thanks for the information
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

That was the pass mark for last years exams if you look at the new admissions policy the pass mark appears to have dropped to 334!!

It would be interesting to know why this is. Have they simply dropped the pass mark to make it easier to pass as apparently sale have not filled places for 2012 intake. Another thought is that they are standardising it differently to previous years.

Any thoughts or information anybody? Bit curious as to why the change. I wondered if any parents doing tests this September have noticed the change in pass mark and asked the school.

Jm
Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

That's very interesting, Jm. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Any information from parents who attended the information evening at Sale that might shed light on this change would be welcomed!
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

On Its me! thread she says in her appeal pack that their allocated number is 163 and the PAN is 180 so it appears that they are definitely not full.

If I was appealing I would certainly want to know why this was. If my child had only just missed out this year and they were making it easier surely they would uphold some of those appeals this year. There were certainly children at my daughters' primary school that would have been expected to pass that did not. My daughters feedback was that the maths was harder at Sale than Altrincham so very curious to see if they are making it easier to pass. The review mark margin has been made smaller also.

Altrincham pass mark is also 334 but this is standardised at a higher expectation level than Sale which is why the exam is harder to pass even though the pass mark is lower. Surely Sale would not be doing this if they have not filled places this year.

JM
Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
It'sme!

Post by It'sme! »

According to a friend they have reduced the amount of questions on the NVR but it worls out the same %.........
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Thanks Itsme! for info. I am still not sure if that would be the reason. No matter how many questions on a paper if a pupil gets 100% and is the youngest pupil they would usually get 141 marks. If all 3 papers are weighted equally that gives a max mark of 423.
I may be wrong but if they have reduced the number of nvr questions then it would not result in the pass mark being lower. The only thing I can think of is they have weighted them differently and the nvr paper is less significant than the others.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now