Ashlawn consultation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest201

Ashlawn consultation

Post by guest201 »

Have you guys seen the consultation on Ashlawn website, I understand they want to increase their y7 intake and increase grammar places to 90, must be good news for East Warks kids.
Optimist

Re: Ashlawn consultation

Post by Optimist »

guest201 wrote:Have you guys seen the consultation on Ashlawn website, I understand they want to increase their y7 intake and increase grammar places to 90, must be good news for East Warks kids.
Is Ashlawn an Academy? ( I did not check) Let's hope they get rid of the ridiculous (East Warks) catchment rules, and let all and sundry apply.

Good news with the extra 60 grammar places - though.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

It is an academy. I presume the grammar places would still be the inner and outer circle business, but for the non-grammar places they seem to be getting rid of their priority area and doing it purely on distance to the school, which I imagine will cause a stir with those who are currently in the prioriy area but dont live very close to the school. How will this affect the priority areas of other schools, unless the priority areas of other schools are tweaked there will be some families who now find themselves a long way from Ashlawn to guarantee a place yet outside the priority areas of other schools.
Incidently I have just looked on RHS website and their admission consultation seems to be suggesting 120 places will be offered, they are also an academy now.
Seems they have both used their academy status to allow them to increase their grammar school places.
cam

Post by cam »

'To help them provide a truly comprehensive education' the plan is to increase the number of 11+ grammar places from 30 to 90 whilst increasing the overall intake from 256 to 280.
The admission booklet for 2012 states 30 grammar plus 230 other, total 260.
With an extra c20 places, but now 90 not 30 classified as grammar, this willhave an averse effect on the non-selectives in Rugby, creaming off a further 60 of the brightest and forcing potentially 40 of those who would have expected to get in, via catchment elsewhere?
Effective from 2013 see http://www.ashlawn.org.uk/Documents/Pub ... 121211.pdf
If the girls grammar is also proposing to increase its intake by 26, the effect of the non-selectives will be compounded.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Looks like Ashlawn are sticking to 30 grammar school places they have just published their admission policy for 2013. Also they seem to have abandoned the 1 mile priority circle around the school preferring to stick to the old priority area. Not sure what happens if you are outside this area though, as it just says
"Any remaining places will be allocated to children living outside the priority area"
but it doesn't say how they will be allocated whether it is distance or random allocation (lottery).
Can anyone shed any light on this?
fed up

Post by fed up »

I might ring WCC and ask for clarification. It looks to me as if siblings get priority over catchment area - is this right?
Also I think the extra 60 grammar places are not allocated on March 1st but on appeal.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Yes siblings get priority over catchment kids, most siblings will be in catchment anyway I would have thought, apart from the siblings of some of the kids in the grammar stream
It doesn't seem plausible to me to offer only 30 grammar places then admit a further 60 on appeal, as you suggest. How can a school with a PAN of 256 admit 60 more children on appeal?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

What happens if a child gets into Ashlawn in the ordinary intake without having taken the 11+ and then is obviously cleverer than most of the selective entrants?
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it the non selective kids are streamed and the "top set" are mixed in a bit with the grammar stream.
ginx

Post by ginx »

In Sept 2011, my ds started Ashlawn. He did not pass the 11+. Presumably based upon his SATS results, he went into the grammar stream for science and science related subjects (design technology, food technology). He's always said that even within his science grammar class, there is a huge variation of results from tests and exams. Nobody told me he was going into the grammar stream for science - but I am sure it was a good thing for him.

I am very pleased with Ashlawn School, it's not perfect but kids are happy and do well. I have two children there, my ds in year 9 and dd in year 8, she is not academic but so far has done much better than expected.

Strongly recommend it.