Do the they wear their school uniform for the 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

Do the they wear their school uniform for the 11+?

Post by Manana »

Just another thing to add to the 'things to find out' list! DS will be sitting the exam at SHSB.

Also-are they allowed to take in medication with them-eg inhalers/eczema creams etc
Fran17

Re: Do the they wear their school uniform for the 11+?

Post by Fran17 »

When my sons sat the exam at SHSB, neither of them wore their school uniform. Most of the other children wore casual clothes. Very few wore their uniform.

I would guess that children can take inhalers into the exam but if I were you I would ring the CSSE to clarify.
manicmummy

Post by manicmummy »

Its really what they feel more comfortable in my DD wore casual clothes didnt want to wear her uniform but her best friend opted for uniform.
DD asthma CSSE told me to ring CCHS and tell them she would have her pump.On the day at registration they had it logged on the reg in case she had any problems just put it in her clear pencil case.
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

They will be able to bring their inhalers into the exam. After all, breathing is not a luxury. When my DD sat the 11+ at Westcliff, they were fine about it. I hadn't warned them about it earlier, just turned up with it on the day. Quite a few children have inhalers. I'm not sure about the cream though. It is probably better to apply it before going in as he doesn't want to lose valuable time applying it in the exam. If he may need to use it while he's there, it is best to call the school and check.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Tea Lover wrote:They will be able to bring their inhalers into the exam. After all, breathing is not a luxury. When my DD sat the 11+ at Westcliff, they were fine about it. I hadn't warned them about it earlier, just turned up with it on the day. Quite a few children have inhalers. I'm not sure about the cream though. It is probably better to apply it before going in as he doesn't want to lose valuable time applying it in the exam. If he may need to use it while he's there, it is best to call the school and check.
I agree aout the wasting time, but he tends to scratch when stressed, so it's the sort of thing he would do without realising and then need the cream quite badly!

Grrr-poor kids!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Re the wearing of school uniform for the CSSE test, our experience so far ( DS1 for 2008 entry and DD the most recent session) is that >99% of the the State primary children (including ours!) follow the CSSE advice that it is not necessary, and about the same percentage of the private school children don't, apparently because they feel more comfortable wearing uniform to take exams. I am willing to be convinced that it is just a vicious rumour that their schools tell them to go in uniform to make the State kids feel inferior :shock:

However, for the King John VR test, the instruction has been that all children should attend in uniform.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My DS3 went to an indie for his last three years of primary school. We were advised that our son should wear uniform as the school felt the children were used to working in their uniforms. They hoped that it may help to get them in the right frame of mind for the exam. My son opted not to as he felt more comfortable in his casual clothes. I can honestly say my three sons wouldn't be intimidated by other children wearing uniforms and certainly wouldn't have felt inferior. I don't think they would have noticed. :lol:
thankgoditsover

Post by thankgoditsover »

My dd went to an indie also and was told by head to wear uniform. We gave her the choice but she was happier going in her uniform as she felt more focused she said, think she was more worried about being found out if she didnt wear uniform really. I think the head just wanted them in uniform to advertise the school probably, no intimidation meant by it. It's what ever your child feels more comfortable in on the day. Good luck xx
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

thankgoditsover wrote:I think the head just wanted them in uniform to advertise the school probably, no intimidation meant by it.
I think you make a very good point.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

In my experience I would say to dress your DC in comfortable clothing of their own. The children in uniform do unfortunately "stick out" and I have witnessed some staring, pointing and general sniggering from groups of nervous jean clad kids waiting to go in. There is nothing unpleasant meant by it but some children, including by own, had never come across a school child in straw boater with elastic under the chin before and in the tense atmosphere before the eleven plus it did cause fits of giggles. This is a day they need to feel as relaxed as possible, not to be the centre of attention and provide free advertising for the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now