Winchester

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Winchester

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

split from Home ed

Cat among the pigeons! After sorting out my five year plan for DS and feeling very chuffed at myself :wink: he has just been offered a place at Winchester. I'm shocked. I never dreamed he'd be smart enough and actually turned it down for DS1 because I hoped they'd be at the same school. :roll: I just don't know if I can prepare for entry in five terms time with all his other commitments. It will certainly be a lot of pressure and angst so expect a lot more random questions. Oh and if anyone knows of top class tutors in South Herts then pass on the info please! :nervous emoticon:
Looking for help

Re: Home ed

Post by Looking for help »

Well done to him :D
Silly question - if he's got in, what do you need to prepare him for ?
Waiting_For_Godot

Looking for help wrote:Well done to him :D
Silly question - if he's got in, what do you need to prepare him for ?
Sorry, it's a pre-test so he has been offered a place subject to passing an exam in two years time. It's a bit like getting a conditional place at uni subject to A'level results, although the time period is longer. The offer was based on IQ, some simple tests and a lengthy interview.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Oh I see - so you have some work to do :D

Good luck, but well done, also :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Well done.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah well done. I always thought you understimated him! :wink:

What is the advantage of the pre-test if he still has to pass CE or whatever at the right level to get in there? Is it just that it gives you an indication that he should pass, or does he need a lower mark at 13 than a child who did not do the pre-test?

Well, New College Choir, Edward Higginbottom, if you're still there in 7 years time, here comes WFG junior!!
Waiting_For_Godot

Yes, he'll be wanting HigginBottom's job!

Very selective or oversubscribed schools insist on a pre-test now because they were offering places to boys who just couldn't cut it at 13, either because they were old boys or in terms of over subscription there were just too many boys applying and needed to cut down the numbers. If educated properly it's very unusual for a pre-test candidate to fail the entrance test. But DS has had a patchy education and the only way we can get him there is via HE. Latin and Greek tutor is confident in her subjects and I'm confident about French but I need to get my head round the other subjects. So much for our hippy gap year broad! :cry:
mystery

Post by mystery »

You'll have to have some hippy terms away yourself while the boys are at school.

It sounds like great news, and one that will focus your mind on the Home Ed. What subjects do you have to cover at home then for CE at 13? ...... feeling another option coming on here for us too ........

You should easily do it as even Home Ed versus independent school must be more efficient.
Waiting_For_Godot

You would think so but he does a minimum of three hours music practice (not all at once) and needs lots of down time. Some music teachers live 50+ miles away so that's half a day gone and the evenings are all full with social activities. Basically I may have three days when we're in the house but I def have four when no academic work can get done, maybe more. There is the possibility that he is going to be in two Operas in the next six months so that's more time being cut into. I'm more concerned with the Hist/Geo/subjects with lots of writing as they take up time.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Well done WFG and DS2, that's wonderful news :D .

Personally I must say this would make me seriously reconsider home ed. I know that I couldn't home ed my children for Winchester entry as well as a good prep school for 12-13yo, and I wouldn't want to take the risk of him missing out on Winchester. Furthermore I know I couldn't live with myself if I did home ed and he then failed to get in. At least if he went to prep school I could blame the school and not myself!

But then I'm not you...

(NB on music teachers, why don't you get them to come to you?)
Loopy