Medway Test Dates September 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mljames

Medway Test Dates September 2012

Post by mljames »

I notice the Medway Test is to be held on 18th and 19th September this year for schools that have opted in. However, for pupils at schools that have opted out or pupils currently from outside the area the test is on 22nd September. Are the same papers being used for the different test dates? I assume yes, otherwise how do you compare and set a pass rate? But what about the risk of breach of security of the papers? Does anyone know where we can check the pass rates for each centre? I think all pupils should sit the test at the same time. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this and where best to raise any concerns?
reddebs

Re: Medway Test Dates September 2012

Post by reddebs »

As far as I am aware the papers will be the same. Thare has always been an issue with the possibility of information regarding the test (especially the creative writing element) being revealed to some candidates that are taking the test late, but this year the problem is made more severe as there will be a large number of children from not just out of county (non medway schools) but those from Medway schools that have opted to either test on a Saturday or opted out of holding the test. It is a real concern and not one that Medway council seem to have reacted to as yet.
red_debs
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

20 schools are down to sit the test on Saturday 22nd out of 66 - info from the admissions guide.

I was very surprised they published this information - makes it much easier for those who want to, to track down the details of the test (albeit I agree it would only be the English task in reality).
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pippin11

Post by Pippin11 »

Hi there, my daughter will be taking the test in September at a test centre as she is home-schooled. I contacted the Admissions Dept at Medway Council and spoke to a lady who was extremely helpful and understanding about the concerns I had with the test arrangements. I raised the issue of unfairness regarding the written task and the possibility of Saturday candidates knowing the subject matter and was told that the written task WILL be different on the Saturday paper. I was reassured but also concerned that the children would then not be judged fairly - the lady said that this had been taken into consideration and that each child was judged on their individual competency. I then suggested that I still felt it would be unfair unless the two tasks were similar in nature, ie both letters, both creative writing tasks, both playscripts etc as children can be stronger in some areas and if it was a factual task on Wednesday and a creative task on Saturday for example, that the children were not being asked to do something similar. She was certain that the tasks would be different, but not certain that the tasks would be similar in nature.
My elder daughter went through the primary school system, took the test at a test centre and went on to he first choice grammar school with no problems. I have to say I thought it a fairer system, albeit a horrible one in terms of the time it took and the sheer volume of people. At least you knew that everyone was in the same boat! My daughter is happy to go to a test centre thankfully, just hoping that it will be a little less chaotic than my other daughter's experience!
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Interesting response from Medway - I agree with your concerns though and still feel there will be "cross over" issues. Also the imbalance for those having the break as they will be sitting over 2 days against those having the long haul is also a factor that cannot be quantified.
I have students that will be taking the test in the week and those that will be tested over the weekend and it will be intersting to see how it all pans out alongside my predictions for their individual outcomes.
red_debs
Pippin11

Post by Pippin11 »

Yes, good point about the time factor - I'm not sure which is worse, the long haul of the 3 tests one after the other or the stress stretched out over 2 days?! Bless them, selection is a tough process
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now